• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Spay Surgery-How Bad Are the Stitches?

alphadox

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My girl went in 3 days ago for a spay and small mass removal. Did great, came home with metacam, still has a great appetite and poops just like before surgery. I still do some critical care she likes and benebac. She is away from others in a 1x2 she was moving too much in the 2x2. The problem I am struggling with is she WILL NOT leave the area alone. The morning after she had the stitches all loosened and area looked sore. Vet did 4 staples and gave antibiotic bactrim and more pain med gabapentin. Said she could be feeling itchy but area really did not look bad.

Yesterday night she ripped out most of the staples and like few light blood spots. Now this morning she tore stitches. This looks super awful to me. There is now a big hole and I swear I see inside her and long stitches string. I am just freaking out. I have to wait until tomorrow morning to get in touch with vet.

Why is she doing this? Is this normal and will heal up like I am paranoid? This hole is just scarey now I fear infections, abscess, etc. My boy had surgery and did not do any of this.

Attachments

• 20220109_124317.webp
    20220109_124317.webp
    23.2 KB · Views: 18
My girl went in 3 days ago for a spay and small mass removal. Did great, came home with metacam, still has a great appetite and poops just like before surgery. I still do some critical care she likes and benebac. She is away from others in a 1x2 she was moving too much in the 2x2. The problem I am struggling with is she WILL NOT leave the area alone. The morning after she had the stitches all loosened and area looked sore. Vet did 4 staples and gave antibiotic bactrim and more pain med gabapentin. Said she could be feeling itchy but area really did not look bad.

Yesterday night she ripped out most of the staples and like few light blood spots. Now this morning she tore stitches. This looks super awful to me. There is now a big hole and I swear I see inside her and long stitches string. I am just freaking out. I have to wait until tomorrow morning to get in touch with vet.

Why is she doing this? Is this normal and will heal up like I am paranoid? This hole is just scarey now I fear infections, abscess, etc. My boy had surgery and did not do any of this.

OUCH!

Guinea pig rip stitches when the area is a very painful and not healing as well as it should. This looks rather upsetting. Please make sure that you keep her as cleanly as possible until you can see a vet as an emergency.

Back