sows fighting

• Thread starter Thread starter sally1974
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sally1974

Hi I am not new to guinea pigs but I recently got two 10 week old sows a week ago who get on ok but one is definitely the boss which I know is normal, however I got another sow 2 days ago to add to the two I already have she is 7 weeks old and very sweet. The boss out of the three of them is VERY nasty to the new one to the point she is petrified and being constantly attacked just for going near the boss. I know all guinea pigs will at some point argue but this is quite bad and the smallest one cries for sometime after the attack I notice small bits of fur being pulled out I have had to seperate them is this the right thing to do? They are all definitely sows. Can I also add she keeps biting me as well and sometimes just lunges. They are in a very large hutch so space isn't the problem. Any ideas what to do? many thanks
Sallyx

I recently add a new sow to my family and she did a similar thing to my old to. I separated them and only put then together when i was there. Over time they got used to each other and now live together very happily.

Hi Becky, I have seperated them and tried several times again when I am about but for some reason she seems so intent on hurting the new one and she is so petrified I think it might be best to keep them seperated although I will try again in a few days.
Sally

Unfortunately by seperating them each time it will do nothing other than bring them back to square one each time. How much space do they have? Space is a big factor in getting feisty pigs to get along. I would also make sure they have seperate places to hide.

They have a 6ft hutch and several hiding spaces each but the fighting is so aggressive, I have never seen it so bad, I have since decided not to reintroduce them its such a sad situation.
Sallyx

Thank you, I have decided to get her a new companion so hopefully it will all work itself out. Thanks again
Sallyx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back