Sows behaviour

Rose_petal

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I have two 11 week old guinea sows they are sisters, they seem to be getting on great, sometimes they make loud squeaks at each other, very high pitched, not sure what they are doing as I try to look and they scamble, they sometimes lift both of their heads up in confrontation but one backs down, they eat out of the same bowls (I do provide two of everything) but they choose to do this, their cage is over 200cm long and 70 ish wide, there is no rumble strutting, there is occasional teeth chattering but only around spot cleaning time or disruption, and when I wake up in the mornings they are laid side by side waiting for breakfast haha (they do have hides) but lay out on occasions, is any of this anything to worry about? should I leave them in together? no blood has been drawn and most of the time they are both bombing around the cage and popcorning at each other, thanks for any advice :)

So I have two 11 week old guinea sows they are sisters, they seem to be getting on great, sometimes they make loud squeaks at each other, very high pitched, not sure what they are doing as I try to look and they scamble, they sometimes lift both of their heads up in confrontation but one backs down, they eat out of the same bowls (I do provide two of everything) but they choose to do this, their cage is over 200cm long and 70 ish wide, there is no rumble strutting, there is occasional teeth chattering but only around spot cleaning time or disruption, and when I wake up in the mornings they are laid side by side waiting for breakfast haha (they do have hides) but lay out on occasions, is any of this anything to worry about? should I leave them in together? no blood has been drawn and most of the time they are both bombing around the cage and popcorning at each other, thanks for any advice :)

Hi and welcome

It is normal behaviour between siblings settling into their new surroundings with the top sow also likely bound to have stronger seasons as she is slowly growing into their new role as the leader of her own group at a time when she is still looking for guidance from her elders.

Please take the time to read these very helpful links so you can understand better what is going on:
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
These links are part of our practical how-to information bundle for new owners to help them settle in and learn what is normal and not, how to make sense of behaviours, get on a healthy diet that promotes a longer normal life span, how to care and health monitor properly and get off to as good a start as possible: Getting Started - Essential Information for New Owners

Back