• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sow bleeding from bottom after 2 weeks of antibiotic and anti inflammatory treatment

Millypig97

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

My piggy June is about a year and a half old. Two weeks ago I found blood in the pen and on her bottom to we took her to the vets where she was checked and had an x ray. There was glucose in her wee and blood and the x-ray showed no sign of kidney or bladder stones. So she began treatment on loxicom and baytril and a strict diet. a week later I took her in again for a check up. There was still some glucose and some wee in her urine so we lowered her dosage and have continued treating. It's been a week since, I weigh the pigs weekly and June had lost some weigh over the month but each week since the diagnoses had put on about ten grams. Yesterday she seemed healthy and her bottom was clean. But this morning I found multiple blood patched on the fleece and her bottom was bloody and crusty. I've emailed the vets for advice. What should I do?

Hi. I would get in touch with vet again, phone them if needed, especially with weekend approaching I wouldn't want to have piggie who's getting worse as it'll be harder to get appointment over the weekend.
I know my vet mentioned sometimes UTIs are stubborn and might need different ATBs or longer course. Or there could be other reason for the blood.

There are members who'll get you brilliant advice, I am sure they'll be along soon.

Hi. I would get in touch with vet again, phone them if needed, especially with weekend approaching I wouldn't want to have piggie who's getting worse as it'll be harder to get appointment over the weekend.
I know my vet mentioned sometimes UTIs are stubborn and might need different ATBs or longer course. Or there could be other reason for the blood.

There are members who'll get you brilliant advice, I am sure they'll be along soon.
Thank you so much for getting back so quickly! I emailed the vets and she has suggested getting her back on the antibiotics for a longer course and to increase her dose of loxicom. I'm hoping I don't have to take her in as it's traumatic and I can't drive so I have to get a taxi which can't become a habit cos of this pandemic! So hopefully I can run over and collect the medicine.

I wonder if other people have experience with stubborn UTIs? Is it common for the first round of antibiotics to fail? We completed the antibiotics about four days ago and the bleeding has reappeared today.

Poor little June bless her. Baytril isn’t the best antibiotic for UTI’s really, a lot of piggy vets prefer to treat with Sulfatrim/septrin as they’re much better for treating them.
I found it much better too when treating my Rupert who was a ‘bladder pig’ and prone to UTIs and bladder stones. He was also on them for at least two weeks to make sure he got rid of it. As well as the brilliant metacam.
I also had bleeding with my old pig Jess when she had kidney issues but if your vets were happy with xrays and her kidneys then it could just be a UTI that needs slightly different treatment for a bit longer x

I wonder if other people have experience with stubborn UTIs? Is it common for the first round of antibiotics to fail? We completed the antibiotics about four days ago and the bleeding has reappeared today.
I have had it take almost a month of antibiotics (switching to a different type after 2 weeks) to really wipe out a stubborn UTI.
I also found that encouraging water intake was vital, as I think sometimes when they have pain when they urinate it discourages them form drinking a lot which will help flush things through.
I found feeding wet veg (washed liberally with filtered water) was a good way to increase fluids.
What specific meds is your piggy currently on and what is her normal diet?

Back