Sow being horrid to her cage mate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My two Sows have always lived together they are now ten months old. Now and again the have a little fall out but are soon friends again. Last night though the bossy one started chasing the other during floor time. When I put them back into the cage all was not well Bumble was be scared witless by Hamish(yes she has a boys name my son picked it) Bumble sorted of hissed at her the sound was like when you open your mouth and say ahh :-\ I have never seen anything like it she normally sprays when they have a fall out. Hamish has never been this bad she just kept going at Bumble so much and Bumble looked so scared.
Now as Bumble clearly was not happy I have put her in a box on her own and she seems happier. Has anyone come across anything like this before and did the sows end up being separated permenantly? Help

I call mine my "boys" but they are girls.

Sometimes Scarby can be quite horrible to Rocky, growling and snapping, aand generally frightening Rocky. Two nights ago I heard Rocky crying so I had to get up and cuddle Rocky for a while.

My Sylvie got a bit like that, but no hissing. She is just a very dominant girl & needed a boy pig to put her in her place - which worked. Now they're like an old married couple - & she def has the upper hand!

A little update I put them back together and all was fine for about four hours, Then Hamish went at her again quite nasty so out she came and was shaking. I really am baffled by it all never in all my piggie years, have I or my husband seen sows do anything like this before. Tomorrow I think I am going to try the vicks on the bum. I have some vicks thats a very mild one suitable for young babies. Will let you know if it works.

Lucinda said:

Sometimes Scarby can be quite horrible to Rocky, growling and snapping, aand generally frightening Rocky. Two nights ago I heard Rocky crying so I had to get up and cuddle Rocky for a while.

What does a guinea pig crying sound like?

I have a sow that can only live as a group, as a pair she bullied her cage mate so perhaps Hamish might be happy in a bigger group, maybe even consider a neutered boar to keep the peace? :)

Has anything changed to maybe start this? cage, eating habits, health...

Billies Mum said:
Lucinda said:

What does a guinea pig crying sound like?
lol

Beks said:
I have a sow that can only live as a group, as a pair she bullied her cage mate so perhaps Hamish might be happy in a bigger group, maybe even consider a neutered boar to keep the peace? :)
I have a boar he is going to be Neutered as soon as he is old enough which will not be for a few months yet though. All is well today the vicks has done the trick ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back