• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

soul searching for answers

• Thread starter Thread starter squeakywheeky
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

squeakywheeky

You probably all know that one of my boys has a problem with mites at the minute. I'm confused and annoyed that it had been going on for much longer than I thought. I was giving myself mental bat on the backs for taking good care of my piggies when I must have missed something.

I got my little lad at 6 weeks for my lone boar who was around 3 months old. Straight away little Puddles just didn't take to me, very skittish and would run like a whippet if iven the chance.

I put this move to my house at such a yound age for the cause of why Puddles has a problem with mites. he had a lot of change to get used to when being so very young.

I found his bald patch 3 weeks ago and made an appointment for the very next day. The day before I had just bathed and i'm sure I would have noticed that patch then if it were there. That weekend I had noticed that he wasn't eating much and was beginning to keep an eye on hime anyway.

My vet mentioned old healing sores this morning which makes me feel absolutely sh!t. That mean that my poor lad has been struggling with those burrowing mites for a lot longer thant I originally thought. I thought it was early stage mites when I found that patch but obviously not.

I'm feeling terrible and to blame for his suffering. He's only a baby. I know in my heart of hearts I acted as soon as I knew but that was not soon enough.

Any, any comments would be great. In the future are they any signs I could look out for. All his signs came at once. it feels like he was trying to hide his symtoms then when it got too much for him 'gave up' and let it all out. I feel bloody useless!

one thing. DO NOT blame yourself. It is just something that happens and hardly any of us will know it is mites until we notice bugs, severe scratching or bald patches. It is through no fault of your own.

When they are down, ill or even a little change happens then mites can get worse or occur. It's just something that happens.

Maybe to give him regular baths?

Tonic will get a pour of them when he has been messed about with - poked and prodded by the vets. It just happens.

A huge hug for you!

don't feel bad, you wanna be here in my house, i have 18 girls suffering with it, plus shea and the new babies.

shea got mites while pregnant and the vet wouldn't treat her and of course she then had the babies, so the vets still didn't wanna treat her and god did she looked uncared for, big bald patch over her eye and sores on her back and belly, i felt ashamed but the vet didn't judge me. eventually she was given half a dose of ivermectin but the babies had now got mites to.

instead of looking cute they have bald patches but they are still cute :smitten: just feel so sorry for them.

some of my girls have been really bad with it, never had mites before where it as affected them over the eyes, I'm use to it being on their bum and back area. where it has affected the eyes it has made them poor girls look a right mess causing really bad scabs.

it's like a pet hospital here ;D I'm worn out but it has given me a distraction from teenage problems :-\

i just make sure i keep the sores clean and apply cream to those that have to have it and that the babies and ones with bad sores have plenty of water and cucumber, cause i read somewhere that bad sores can cause animals to dehydrate, sure i got that right.

you really can't find every sore and mine seemed to happen over night and i do check mine, so don't feel guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back