Sores On New Piggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleyres

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
We got our two little lady piggies yesterday and they have been very quiet as expected. They still hide and will not move a muscle whilst we're anywhere near them. I got them out today to say a little hello and give them a once over and noticed that Rosie has sores on her mouth neck and behind her ear, pics attached. They look to me like they are healing, but just wanted some advice as to whether you think I need to do anything else at all.
Thanks very much, Claire x20160221_144532.webp 20160221_144418.webp

Hey everyone,
We got our two little lady piggies yesterday and they have been very quiet as expected. They still hide and will not move a muscle whilst we're anywhere near them. I got them out today to say a little hello and give them a once over and noticed that Rosie has sores on her mouth neck and behind her ear, pics attached. They look to me like they are healing, but just wanted some advice as to whether you think I need to do anything else at all.
Thanks very much, Claire xView attachment 42843 View attachment 42844

It looks very much like fungal/potentially ringworm to me, which is sadly not at all uncommon in new pet shop or backyard breeder piggies. :(

Please have them seen and diagnosed properly by a vet; we can only make educated guesses online. We also do not support treating on spec, as we have seen too often the sorry results and the unnecessary suffering this can cause.

Please be very careful; if it is ringworm, then you are dealing with the one most transmittable thing that guinea pigs and all mammals (including humans) can catch. Please read the tips in our link below.
Recommended piggy savvy vets: Guinea Pig Vet Locator
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Hi my first thought would be fungal, possibly Ringworm or if not one of the many other different types. The first photo made me think of Chelitis which can either be fungal or bacterial but with it being elsewhere and not just around the mouth I am more inclined to think Ringworm. They will need to see a vet for treatment. Where did you get them from? as to be honest they should cover the cost of the treatment.

Here is our Ringworm guide which covers all the different stages.

Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

On here the treatment we recommend is the oral medication Itrafungol (Itraconazole) and/or Imaverol dips (Enilconazole).

Hi Claire, sorry but I agree with Helen & Wiebke.
If it is ringworm it's very contagious and can spread to humans so I'd be getting them vet checked and taking precautions.
Might I ask where the girls came from? If it was a shop or a breeder they should really pay for the cost of the treatment.

Thanks for the responses, well as we only picked them up yesterday morning from a local breeder I have taken them back. It broke our hearts to do it, but I do not expect to be taking an animal to the vet a day after we have collected it. Also, our children are only 5 & 1, and we have a dog so I really didn't want to chance the spread of anything nasty.
New plan is to locate our nearest rescue and get our next pair from there hopefully! I have learnt a lot from everyone on here already, so think that this is probably the best course of action.
Also, the people we got them from seemed lovely, so hopefully she'll be getting the treatment she needs from experienced people.
Thanks again for your help, research time........

Thanks for the responses, well as we only picked them up yesterday morning from a local breeder I have taken them back. It broke our hearts to do it, but I do not expect to be taking an animal to the vet a day after we have collected it. Also, our children are only 5 & 1, and we have a dog so I really didn't want to chance the spread of anything nasty.
New plan is to locate our nearest rescue and get our next pair from there hopefully! I have learnt a lot from everyone on here already, so think that this is probably the best course of action.
Also, the people we got them from seemed lovely, so hopefully she'll be getting the treatment she needs from experienced people.

We have got a recommended good standard rescues locator with mandatory quarantine/vet care and pregnancy watch, as well as careful bonding, so you have got a guaranteed problem-free start to a happy piggy life. If you have children, it is also worth looking for adult guinea pigs that are used and comfortable with being handled (always under adult supervision, of course).
The closest is likely The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue in Kidsgrove; but in exchange for the longer travel, you will be in very safe and experienced hands there.
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator
Welcome to The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue, a safe haven in Stoke on Trent.
Please be aware that like a breeder, anybody can call themselves a rescue; there is no licensing unless it is an RSPCA branch, where piggy savviness can vary extremely from branch to branch. We have listed the safe rescues we can guarantee for in our rescue locator on the top bar.

Please be aware that you need to disinfect and deep clean your cage and all the housing with F10 disinfectant or wash any fabrics in contact with the guinea pigs (including human cothing) at a minimum of 60 C to prevent ringworm spores infecting your new guinea pigs. Ringworm spores can stay active for up to 18 months; F10 is the only disinfective that also kills the spores.

I am very sorry that you have had to learn this lesson the hard way. :(

I think you have done absolutely the right thing, Claire. It's heartbreaking to do it, but you have to do what is right for you and your family first and foremost.
3 of my current piggies are from the Potteries GPR. Helen always has lovely, health checked, well bonded and properly sexed pairs of piggies looking for homes. It's worth a bit of a drive to find suitable piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back