• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sore pads

• Thread starter Thread starter PigPog
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PigPog

Ivy seems to have sore patches on the main part of her rear pads. The patches are localised and deep pink in colour. The skin is not broken but it's a bit worn. She's not limping, but I was hoping for some advice on treating her pads to stop them getting any worse. ;)

edit - I've rubbed a bit of Kamillosan cream into her pads for now to ease them overnight just in case she's a bit sore.

Well i can't help too much but i do hear of everyone talking about the GG products and they've got a cream for tootsies O0
Give Mary or Karen a pm or wait for them to reply on here and i'm sure they'll advise you something.
Sorry i've just not encountered this problem :-\
Sending healing wheeks and lots of loves for little Ivy :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

yeah GG have some good creams. they've just brought out a new one for feet - perfect paws cream i think. O0
here's a link ;) http://www.store2go.net/shop/gorgeousguineas/p/category/0709166791-New+Products/ there's also some more creams and lotions on the creams, gels and lotions section, but i would have thought that's the one to go for. you could always e-mail chrissie via the contact link on the web page, she'd be able to tell you what was best O0
what do you use on the bottom of their cage? ?

A very common cause of red feet is the natural oils in woodshavings, if that's what you use as bedding. That's the reason you see pine oil used in toilet cleaners!

Ivy is in a herd of four guineas (one neutered boar and three sows) in a big C&C cage. I bed my herds - I have three herds - on plain newspaper and clean them out often. The only other bedding they have in there is a handful of Megazorb under their water bottles. They also have an armful of loose hay each day.

All my piggy shampoo is from GG - didn't know they did foot cream, thanks guys. O0

They need a more absorbent bedding in opinion, personally I don't like Megazorb but its an 'OK' one to use, iI use Medibed on top of newspaper and hay piles for playing :)

I am currently using aGG Pad cream on a sow with terribly bad feet I would highly recommend it.

Hmm... trouble is I have three pens and nine hutches, and my budget only goes so far! ::)

I've recently changed to Megazorb for my hutches (I lost my rag with the dusty woodshavings) and I love it. One of my Rex boars actually rolls around in it like a pig in muck. ;D

I'll look into MediBed, thanks. You never know, it might be just the thing! O0 I do have Vetbed, but washing it is a pain at the moment (waiting for an old washer to be installed).

Nothing wrong with Megazorb if it suits you, its my personal dislike :) I think its more absorbent than Medibed too. Another option is Aubiose. It just sounded like your pigs were on newspaper and nothing else except under the water bottles :)

Vetbed is not for me either, my pigs prefer Medibed for rooting around in and so does the environment!
Karen (watching her Carbon Pawprint :police: )

Yes, they are on newspaper with just a bit of Megazorb under the water bottles (this is the herds - the hutches are fully bedded with a generous layer of Megazorb on newspaper). It's strange because the pens have always been bedded this way and they've always been fine up until now with Ivy's pads. :-\ They do spread their hay around though, so they're always sitting on that. ::) I could give them Megazorb too, but the trouble is I get through a big bag of it per week already and that's just the hutches! ? I will definately look into putting *something* extra in the pens now though.

I am a big fan of aubiose. I tried megazorb and it was ok but the aubiose goes much much further. A 20kg bag is £7.50 from equestrian suppliers. Yes to the GG pad cream too, I have been using it on Lennie whos paws were a bit dry and its great :)

Funny you should mention Medibed, Karen, as I've used it before but am always a bit wary of it. Isn't it treated with citrus oils or something to try to make it unpalatable to horses? Makes me think it probably isn't that great if eaten?

Karen,

Just curious to know why you dislike vetbed,and think it bad for the envirement.

I have used vetbed for years and like it.I hand wash in Ecover ,rinse well and hang on the line to dry.

I don't have a good relationship with Aubiose ever since one of our tortoises ate herself to death on it. 98) :'( I've steered clear of it for use with small animals ever since. Great if you guys like it though... I'm just a bit scared of using it, as you can imagine! :-\

Could it be a lack of essential fatty acids? Maybe a supplement would help, eg. hemp oil.

maryh said:
Karen,

Just curious to know why you dislike vetbed,and think it bad for the envirement.

I have used vetbed for years and like it.I hand wash in Ecover ,rinse well and hang on the line to dry.
I don't dislike Vetbed the pigs do and choose to sleep on the Medibed when given a choice. They also like to forage around in the Medibed :)

I have a fulltime job and a family, washing is a big enough chore for me as it is without adding to it :)

I use my Medibed +hay for compost and give the rest to the local allotment community project therefore for me its more environmentally friendly to use Medibed- if I was sending it to landfill then it wouldn't :)

I know what you mean - there's only me and my OH, one pig pen and 2 bunnies, and I always seem to be washing, what with Vetbed, bunny mats and our washing too! ::) I'd never use it if I had any higher numbers of animals.

Its the drying I really struggle with and would have to use the tiumble dryer more if there was even more washing, the Vetbed would be taking all the room on my line ::) I really hate using it as it is.

I get so mad when someone's been home and not bothered to hang washing out, sons are not easy to train ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back