• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sootys Neutering

bethlauren21

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
HI ALL 👋

I rehomed a boar, (SOOTY) he's around 2ish. I got him neutered on the 30th April - he recovered well until a few days after the surgery he got an abscess just slightly further up than his wound, I took him back to the vets he had it drained and put on antibiotics (baytril) so since that week, sootys been back and forth to the vets every 2/3 days I'm taking him back to have his abscess drained, he then developed another abscess further up than that one but on the side of his leg, so also that one has to be drained and they had to scan him to check if it was an abscess or not, it was but the vet said she was quite concerned as he has large lymph nodes in his abdomen and if the infection got into his abdomen it wouldn't be a good outcome. Anyway so Saturday just gone I took him again to be drained, he's developed another on the other side! So he also had that one drained and got more antibiotics for another 10 days. The vets have basically said it's going to take a long time to get into where the abscesses are, she said from it getting into his mouth, into his gut and then it's got to get around where the abscesses are and then into the wall of the abscesses she described it as if the abscesses are in a capsule. He's back in tomorrow to be drained again, there not filling up as much as they were, it's the one on his leg she's concerned about. Sooty is absolutely fine in his self ( eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, energy is good ) so the antibiotics are keeping sooty well, just these abscesses. I feel so sorry for him having to be cut open to drain these abscesses every 2/3 days. Has anybody been through this before and had a good outcome? How she's talking sooty is going to be on antibiotics for quite a long time. Only popped a message on just to see if anyone has had the same experience with there boar?

Thankyou for reading. Sorry if it doesn't make sense 🤦‍♀️.

I had a boar once who developed two abcesses after being neutered but he had them where the suctures were. They were opened and drained and I had to flush them twice a day.
It was a tough three weeks but he did recover.

All the best! I hope Sooty will recover as well.

How is Sooty doing? Bertie had a preputial abscess (in his boy bits) last year and as it was inoperable due to location we went with antibiotics and regular vet visits to squeeze out the pus (basically down and out through his willy). It was quite a long haul - several weeks (about 8 if I recall) of ABs - first marbofloxacin (Marbocyl) then marbofloxacin and metronizadole (Eradia) together as the bacteria changed from aerobic to anaerobic. It would have been less complicated if it could have been exposed to drain itself but it was inaccessible. It did eventually go. Hope Sooty’s abscesses are responding to treatment x

Like others, I can't give you advice but sending healing vibes to Sooty and hope he recovers soon xx

Back