• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sooty is going in for op tomorrow morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Sooty has now to go in for a tooth op. He hasn't been himself since Friday and we took him to vets earlier today and vet said he's got the same problem with his teeth as Misty has. She couldn't tell if it was as bad as Misty's because his mouth was full of food. We aren't sure if it's due to inbreeding as they are both from the same pet shop and the woman doesn't have a clue about animals. Just need to hope everything goes well and his teeth aren't too bad.

Ohhhh, :'( , fingers crossed all goes well for Sooty. O0
When's the op?

He has to go in tomorrow at 8:45 so anytime between then and about 2. He got some injections and is eating some food just now.

We'll keep our fingers crossed all goes well and my guineas their paws crossed.
Let us know how he gets on. :) :smitten:

Re: Sooty is going in for op tomorrow morning. Updated.

Mums just phoned to see how he is. He is still very sleepy from the anesthetic but they do piggies ops later in the day. His teeth were very overgrown. He only got them checked about 2 months ago and they were fine then. The receptionist didn't know if his jaw is deformed. If it is hopefully it isn't as bad as Misty's is because the vet phoned us the last time.

Glad the op went well,
wishing Sooty a speedy recovery. :smitten: :smitten:

That's him home now. He's very groggy and just lying in his cage. He heard Misty wheeking and moved his head a little bit to try and see him. Mum was talking to receptionist and she was saying how piggies and rabbits with tooth problems is getting very bad becaue of all in inbreeding. He's back in a week but if he doesn't start eating within 24 hours he's to go back. I'm a bit worried at how groggy he is because Misty and Buttons were almost normal when we got them back after their ops :-\

Why did Sooty have to have anaeasthetic?.,most dentals can be done without,even when the teeth are trapping the tongue.

The vet should not have discharged a pig that is not fully recovered.

You are going to have to get some syringe feed a nd water into him(the water is very important because the aneasthetic can dehydrate).You will have to be very careful though if he is still drowsy.Just put a couple of drops of water at a time into his mouth and make sure he is swallowing and not dribbling it out.
It would be a good idea to make uo a satchet of rehydration therapy and try and get some of that into him.You will need to give fluid through the night.
Keep him warm on a vet bet and do not let him lie in one position for too long.Massage his hands and feet to keep the circulation going.
Once the aneasthetic has worn off I am sure he will be fine. Paws crossed for him.

We have got recovery food ect. already. He has picked up a bit but still isn't that alert. I'm up most the night anyway so I will make sure he gets water. The receptionist told me mum to phone at 3 to see if he would be allowed out today then when she phoned they said we could get him. Even now I think he is too groggy to have been allowed out. I'm not sure why he got anesthetic. They do that with all the piggies/rabbits for teeth ops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back