Soon To Be Owner Of 3 Guinea Pigs (fingers Crossed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallKaren

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

I am hoping to adopt 3 guinea pigs (1 male with 2 wives) from an animal sanctuary that I volunteer at. Waiting to see if they want to do a home visit.
Have cage (Fereplast 120) and other bits and pieces. Very excited and hope that they come home soon.
A quick question for you experts.
What type of breed is this little one? The hair is quite thick. Been told it might be a teddy bear?

GP.jpg

Karen

The male is castrated as are all the males at the sanctuary, which is good.
Just discovered that I'm not far away from the vets Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton.

Hi and welcome!

I assume that your boy has been neutered for at least 6 weeks? Personally, I think that the ferplast 120cm is a bit small for three piggies in the long term. It complies with the RSPCA minimal recommendation for two guinea pigs. We recommend a minimum of 60x150cm for a trio of piggies, but there are alternatives to traditional cages. You can find out more in our housing section.

Your piggy in the picture looks like he could be a teddy. This is a specific guinea pig breed. I have three teddy girls.

With members from all over the world, we are grateful if you added your country, state (US/Aus) or country/general area (UK) to your details, so we can give you the appropriate advice, links and recommendations straight away. You can do so by clicking on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details/location.

We have got lots of information at the top of each of our care sections, but please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.

Well welcome I'm sure youll find all the info you need here posting pictures when you get them is compulsory :love::lol!:

I assume that your boy has been neutered for at least 6 weeks?
They are over a year old and have been at the sanctuary for a while. Lots of their friends are getting homes but because they are a trio it's a bit harder

Personally, I think that the ferplast 120cm is a bit small for three piggies in the long term. It complies with the RSPCA minimal recommendation for two guinea pigs. We recommend a minimum of 60x150cm for a trio of piggies, but there are alternatives to traditional cages. You can find out more in our housing section.

OK, didn't realise that. Was told by someone who had a lot of experience of rescuing and keeping guinea pigs that it would be fine for 3. I was looking at the C&C cages as an alternative.

Anyone want a Fereplast 120 cage? ;)

You can advertise it in a different section or you could use it as their bedroom or kitchen and just add a run to it.Good luck with your piggies.There is a thread on here about c&c cages or you could just join another cage to it.There is a thread on commercial cages too

You may find a spare cage useful in case of illness, travel etc. ;)

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will keep the cage and will try to build an extension (as suggested). Now where did I put that screwdriver.... :D

Hi there
I have two teddy girls :) :) THey are gorgeous, and I think a more placid breed. I'm completely in love with them actually. I also had a teddy girl called Honey some years ago and I adored her too. She was my "lap pig".
Honestly I would hang on to your ferplast 120. It will probably be useful in the future, and if you have space its worth hanging on to it. THey are expensive to buy new and can be hard to track down secondhand.

THe cage may look huge, but once you have their houses, food bowls etc there isnt a lot of spare space. I'm not sure if a commercial indoor ferplast type cage actually exists that can happily accomodate three? Though maybe other forum members can correct me if I am wrong. The closest I think is the Liberta Rabbit 150 but i have never seen that sold and its very expensive online.

Is making a cage (cubes and correx) an option for you?

or perhaps do what I have done which is join two Ferplasts together to get the required size. It makes a large long cage if you put them together end to end. I have cable tied mine, and my pigs are fine jumping over the cage sides, though some may need ramps, I have three very agile young jumping boars! Or you could get a large rabbit hutch and use it indoors instead of outdoors?

Cant wait to see photos if they are all as gorgeous as the piggy in your picture!

Welcome, it's very exciting in the run up to getting new piggies isn't it?!

I can only echo what others have said about cage size but you've already got that in hand ;) Otherwise enjoy your new arrivals and we look forward to seeing some pictures. You are lucky enough to be near one of the best vets in the country for Guinea pigs so if you have any problems you will be in very good hands with Simon at Northampton. He comes highly recommended form many, many members on here especially for difficult cases and dental treatment!

Feel free to explore all of the sections of the forum and ask any questions you have, it's always worth asking, we will all try to be as helpful as we can and there is a great deal of wisdom and experience in the membership to help you. x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back