Soon to be husboar joining his mother hand sister finally forever

GimmeGuinea

New Born Pup
Reaction score
As a first time guinea pig owner and after reading a lot about them, I decided to have just two female guinea pigs who were about 2,5 months old when I got them. I was told they had been together since birth so they got along very well. I built them a 6 x 2,1 C&C cage. They had lots of space and were indeed the best of friends.

About six months ago now, one of my guinea pigs gave birth to a boar and a sow. This was an unplanned and unexpected pregnancy where thankfully all went well. It was an unforgettable experience. During the first night I double gridded the cage immediately since I had learned to do this when you have babies.

I noticed tension between the other female and the babies from the first moment they met. More towards the baby boar than the sow. She did not seem to be happy that they arrived, which is understandable. The little innocent boar had only just learned how to walk, and while exploring the large cage with his sister, he had already made an enemy. No fighting as such, yet I could tell they did not like each other.

I separated the other female - who was the dominant one of the two - shortly after birth to one end of the cage with a double C&C cage divider in between to reduce the stress the mother would otherwise have and to protect the babies. I was given this golden advice form a woman at the local pet store. There were no issues during the set up like this. The mother and babies stayed in the side where they were born, and they have been raised in peace.

After 2,5 weeks I have had the youngsters sexed by a veterinarian. Although I could already guess based on behavior who was a boar and sow. The boar is dominant and the sow is submissive. That became clear from a very young age, where the boar started rumble strutting even as baby, maybe at 1,5 week or so. The mother is dominant as well towards the daughter after she had raised her, and rumble struts towards her several times a day. The daughter seems to enjoy it as well. Sometimes I see the daughter being dominant against the mother which the mother accepts but this is very infrequent. She has likely taught her how to do it.

At about 2 weeks I already saw the boar hump the mother or sister sometimes. So when I got home from the vet, I separated the boar from his mother and sister and made the divider extra high at a later stage to be even more safe. The other female got the play area all for herself while she waited to be re-homed. She no longer got along with the now mother. Which is an understatement, since she started teeth chattering and fighting as soon I put them together. Then the mother was submissive toward the other female and did not even put up a fight. While it is often advised to let them fight it out, I decided to not do this to prevent any injuries. Something that the mother does not need while raising her babies.

The boar is very often biting the cage grid divider to try and get through it. He seems very determined to get through while he is at it. Maybe it is a habit at this stage and certainly good for his teeth. His mother and sister bite the grid sometimes too, but only briefly. His mother more often at the start of separation than as of late. Although, I have seen his sister doing it a few days ago for a short moment. The boar goes then on rumble strutting in front of her and they touch noses. The play area also has a double gridded divider where they can see each other much better, and his behavior is the same there. Maybe a little less biting when he is there I must say.

I have been told by the vet that he can be neutered at six months old, which is now at this point. I do not want to rush and give it about two more weeks or so. I also believe that he is still growing at this stage. I am also intending to keep him in his section for at least one more week after he has been neutered to recover and based on the vet’s advice. However, I have already learned that I should wait at least six weeks after surgery.

My concern is how and where to introduce them to each other and to make sure no fighting occurs. Especially between the mother and husboar I expect maybe tension since they are both dominant. However, he must still realise that she is his mother and she should know that it is her son right? The mother does not show dominant behavior across from him in the cage or play area which is a good sign. He however always does.

Would I introduce them in their play area where they already spent time in - not daily at he moment - or should it be freshly cleaned first? Then lifting the divider suddenly, or shall I just lift the divider in their not freshly cleaned cage at some point where their territory is already scent marked and they know who lives where which would prevent the new hierarchy sort-out? I think the husboar would be over the moon for that to finally happen, and likely the girls would be as well. I will definitely do this when he is biting the bars again.

The girls have four hideys including a large wooden home (3 exits), and the boar has two hideys.
Would they just explore each other's territories, and then go back to where they usually spent their time, or do you think the boar would try and claim the wooden home even though it is scent marked by the females? The layout has been pretty much kept the same at the females section where he grew up, but then the wooden home was in the section where the other female was kept during the first 2,5 weeks. Regardless of the wooden home being there or when he enters their space, it must feel like homecoming for him.

What suggestions do you have, and how would you as a more experienced guinea pig owner initiate the introduction?

I’m sorry to hear the mum and her original companion could not get on. Unfortunately this can happen. If they were actually fighting, then you did the right thing - it’s never recommended to let them ’fight it out’.

As you have since found out, the boar must be kept away from the sows for six weeks after he has been neutered. Sperm will remain viable in the tubes during that time so the full six weeks is essential as otherwise the sperm still left in the tubes will cause the sows to both become pregnant.

Regarding the bonding, you need to introduce them somewhere which is not part of their normal territory. Please do not introduce them in the cage they currently live in. Please do not just lift dividers between any sections and allow them to wander into each other’s parts of the cage - that will cause fights and will be seen as a territory invasion.

Where you mention that the section is already ’scent marked, they will know their territories and would prevent a new hierarchy sort out’ is not correct.
As I say, allowing them to meet in the cage (where it is scent marked and seen as their own territories) will cause fights and could cause the bonding to fail - the other piggies would be seen as intruders - but they absolutely must have a hierarchy sort out and that will happen for them to have a functioning relationship.
The bonding needs to be done on neutral territory and provided acceptance occurs between them all, they will spend the following two weeks establishing a relationship and hierarchy.
If acceptance does not occur (and there is never a guarantee), then they will not be able to live together as a group.
The boar is not part of the sow hierarchy (the girls will always have their own hierarchy just between them) but he will become part of group hierarchy - either him or the mother need to decide which one of them is going to be the leader of the whole group.

Bonding is a one time event - you put them all into neutral territory together and leave them for several hours and see it through to conclusion - success or failure. While in the neutral territory pen, there should only be water and hay, no hides should be used.
Provided all goes well, and while they are still on the bonding pen, you need to clean everything down and rearrange the cage they are to live in together. If after several hours in the bonding pen, everything has gone well then you can move them to the cage together and leave them together. At that point you can add hides back into the cage.

This guide explains the bonding process more fully
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

The other guides below will help explain more about dynamics and behaviours
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Last edited:
Hello and welcome. Your questions have been answered very comprehensively above. I would just like to add that it is a good skill to learn to sex piggies. You never know when you may need it in future!

You cannot guess their sex based on behaviour. This is because sows can also rumble strut and mount, it’s not a behaviour limited to boars only.

You’ve got perfect specimens you can compare so I would look at their bits and add to your skill set 😉

PS boars can be neutered once testicles have descended, which is generally from four months onwards. Hope all goes well with the op and bonding. Many have started a thread when doing the bonding, just for support, so you’re welcome to do the same once the time comes 🙂

Illustrated Sexing Guide

Thank you for the great advice and additional resources, which is very helpful indeed.

Sorry for the typo in the subject line. I do not see an option to edit my post at the moment.

I do need some time to go through all the information in full and will most likely add additional questions prior to the bonding taking place, or indeed start a new thread on this.

I already read that;
“The most common solution for a failed bonding is two adjoining pens/cages with interaction through the bars to allow full stimulation and constant interaction (voice, body language and smell/pheromones).”

In my case, while there has not been a failed bonding yet of course, the setup would have been exactly like this for the past 8 months then when it is time for the bonding process. So, I do feel pretty confident on a successful outcome, and I am expecting the boar to be the leader of the herd.

Time will tell and I will update this thread once I know.

Regarding the sexing of piggies and as siikibam said;

I would just like to add that it is a good skill to learn to sex piggies. You never know when you may need it in future!

You’ve got perfect specimens you can compare so I would look at their bits and add to your skill set 😉

Maybe you are right, but picking them up is not something I have done yet. Knowing that they hate being picked up, it is not something I really want to do. I am struggling enough with cutting their nails at the moment. Although it worked out fine the first time. As time moves on and when they are more used to being handled, I can always examine them then.

It’s not always the case the boar is the leader at all, the dominant sow may not allow that to happen! You will just have to see what happens when they can actually be bonded. Behaviour through the bars is not indicative of what will happen when they are actually together. Being mother and son will not make any difference to their ability to get on and how they form a hierarchy.

Herd them each into a carrier and pick them up from there. It is true that piggies don’t like to be picked up but being handled every week for their health and weekly weight checks is essential, as is knowing they are definitely the right sex.

Chewing the bars will be through frustration because he wants to get to them.
Bar chewing is not good for his teeth. If you are thinking it’s because it will be keeping them worn down, then that is incorrect. Only the abrasive silica in hay and grass working on the molars will keep the teeth wearing properly.

Last edited:
It’s not always the case the boar is the leader at all, the dominant sow may not allow that to happen! You will just have to see what happens when they can actually be bonded.

I could definitively see the mother becoming the leader as well. It is just fun to guess who will be the leader prior to doing the bonding.

Behaviour through the bars is not indicative of what will happen when they are actually together.

Yes, you are right. In hindsight, there was no indication of aggressiveness from the original female companion when she was living next to them.

Being mother and son will not make any difference to their ability to get on and how they form a hierarchy.

That is unfortunate then. But good to know.

Herd them each into a carrier and pick them up from there.

I have always only picked them up in the beginning with the common cardboard tube. Which was good thing since I was not aware that one female was pregnant. So I always picked her up in the safest possible way. She has learned to go in the tube when I want to move her and she sits in there waiting to be picked up. I then just put her with the tube in the carrier depending on how far and where I have to put her. Her daughter is just the same and even more so. The mother does not want to go in the carrier directly, although I have not tried it for some time. Her daughter some times does, but is often a bit hesitant and prefers the tube instead.

The boar on the other hand was extremely difficult to get back in the tube, while at first he went in, but really hated to do so later on. The same with a carrier at first. Until I put in some lettuce, he then learned that by going in, that food can be found. For some time now, when I place the carrier in front of him, with no food he really wants to go in. I think he enjoys the 'ride' and is not wanting or expecting food or anything then.

Chewing the bars will be through frustration because he wants to get to them.

Yes, I thought that to be the case. Strangely enough he does it not so much the last few days. Maybe he knows I am discussing it. :)

Bar chewing is not good for his teeth.

I will have it his teeth checked by a vet soon as well.

If you are thinking it’s because it will be keeping them worn down, then that is incorrect.

Yes, that is what I thought.

Only the abrasive silica in hay and grass working on the molars will keep the teeth wearing properly.

I know it should happen by eating hay instead. He is getting several variations of hay.

Back