Soon To Be Guinea Pig Owner!

Chloe Jane

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey,

Me and my parents have been talking, and I think we're going to purchase the hutch soon. We're buying a outdoor hutch, yet keeping it indoors during the winter. This way, we can use the hutch both inside and outside.

As I said in my previous post, we will be adopting 2 young, female guinea pigs. @Stewybus - Me and my mam both agree Snowflake and Sunset are adorable!

The only problem I have so far is bedding. Fleece isn't an option due to the shape of the hutch i'm using. I've heard so many bad things about woodshavings, yet some say they love it! Carefresh looks good too, but it is quite expensive and apprently dusty. Any advice about bedding would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey,

Me and my parents have been talking, and I think we're going to purchase the hutch soon. We're buying a outdoor hutch, yet keeping it indoors during the winter. This way, we can use the hutch both inside and outside.

As I said in my previous post, we will be adopting 2 young, female guinea pigs. @Stewybus - Me and my mam both agree Snowflake and Sunset are adorable!

The only problem I have so far is bedding. Fleece isn't an option due to the shape of the hutch i'm using. I've heard so many bad things about woodshavings, yet some say they love it! Carefresh looks good too, but it is quite expensive and apprently dusty. Any advice about bedding would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
First! So glad you are starting off with the hutch inside! Don’t know what it’s like where you live but it’s really cold here tonight!
When I ever had hutches I used thick layers of newspaper beneath the fleece then piles of hay on top to give them somewhere to burrow into. No doubt hutch users will come on soon to tell you what they are currently using!

I use saw dust (wood shavings) in one case it gave my guinea pig sore feet so I’d recommend something like fleece or hay on top of wood shavings. Anyway good look, I hope I helped

I use a hemp bedding from zooplus but mine are indoors in a c and c cage and it is only for the hay trays with loads of hay on top.

I would put lino on the hutch floor to protect the wood then have aubiose or another hemp based bedding on top. Mind you it could get quite messy.

It would be good to get a pupoy pen or c and c grids to make an indoor run so that they have lots of lovely space. Good luck!

Hey,
The only problem I have so far is bedding. Fleece isn't an option due to the shape of the hutch i'm using. I've heard so many bad things about woodshavings, yet some say they love it! Carefresh looks good too, but it is quite expensive and apparently dusty. Any advice about bedding would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

In the rescue they are kept on puppy pads with hay on top. They seem to be very happy on this. Here's a picture of Snowflake & Sunset :) xx
Snowflake & Sunset 2017-10-10.webp

I get Sophresh pet bedding from Wal-Mart, and I put puppy training pads underneath, which makes it easy to pick it up around the bedding and throw away. I've watched my piggies paws and I'm happy to say their perfectly fine. Dust levels are low, and it's low priced. I definitely suggest it.

Back