Some Tips For A Newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thevegancuddler

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Glad I stumbled across your site. :) I am a seasoned animal-lover with dog and cat experience, but I am finally about to make the plunge and adopt some cavies! I actually got responses from two people I talked to - one has a set of two boars, and the other has a set of three sows (mother and two daughters). Not sure which I'll go with yet... my heartstrings are saying both. What can I say? I adore animals. It's as I've said to others - some people spend their money on road trips or paintings or sports tickets... I spend mine on animals. =P

Anyway, I know this is general, but I'm doing my research, and wondering if you have any tips on a first time cavy mom? The female trio already have a C&C cage, but from the pictures, looks like the male duo do not. I'm thinking about buying a new cage for them, as I'm not sure I'm comfortable with making my own cage. I am just terrible at all things DIY, at measurements... etc. =P Can you recommend any good commercial cage brands, especially in the US? I know walking into a pet store isn't an option, mostly, because they tend to be really small. To be clear, I already know I'm not supposed to buy those silly plastic things with the carrying handle as a main set up. Do we have some minimum measurements to work with? I saw PetSmart had a "Midwest Guinea Pig Habitat Plush Cage" that looked like it MIGHT be a promising starter, but I'm just not too sure.

But yes, so habitat questions abound, and also, if you have any general tips or common things to avoid with first time cavy moms, please share!

Look forward to meeting all of you!

Hi and welcome!

You may find this thread here helpful, as it discusses all the pros and cons of the various piggy combinations.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-a-guide-to-successful-companionship.76162/

I don't know whether you have got any reasonable rescues or shelters within your reach, but perhaps you could do some research?

The minimum recommendation for 3 guinea pigs is 2x5 ft; for two boars we recommend the same space.

You may find a lot of information and ideas in our housing section and members cages gallery.

:wel:to the forum....

Hi and welcome.The Midwest is supposed to be good and you can add as many as you want.If you haven't had them before maybe try one lot first to see how you get on.Good luck

I have a midwest. It is only suitable for two girls but you could buy two and add the ramp and have a double sized one which would be good for either the two boys or the three girls. I would suggest not getting the bells and whistles version and just get the basic cages as its cheaper!

If I get the two boys, they'll be coming this weekend, and it looks like they already have a cage, like I said, but a small one. Would it be too terrible to keep them in that one until my tax refund comes in and I can buy them a new one? They'd probably stay in there about a month.

You could add a run to the cage or make a run somehow.There are plastic coated grids that are cheaper on eBay. Vonhaus interlocking storage, 23 grids for about 17 quid and cable ties dirt cheap.You could put a ground sheet or shower curtain underneath then puppy pads then fleece until you could afford cortex.There is also a small animal pen for 25 quid in Argos that you could buy than when you could afford it could get more and add to them.Mine have litter boxes and they have finacard and hay in them.Most wees done in there.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sure that you will love becoming a piggy slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back