Some "newbie" Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsHoggett

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have just got a few questions that I wondered if you lovely people could help with.

Firstly, it is possible to have too many snuggles, tunnels and toys in a cage? I don't want to overcrowd it but also want to give them plenty of stimulation.

Also, I am pretty nifty with the sewing machine and have already made a couple of donut beds, a snuggle sack, a fleecy tunnel and a hay bag. Thinking about making a corner hammock. Do your piggies use them? Do they need to be quite low for them to hop onto?

And, when travelling them for a short distance (less than half an hour) would you provide hay and water?

I am picking up my piggies on Sunday, full of nervous excitement!

Hammocks depend on the piggies. A good number prefers to snooze underneath. I wouldn't crowd the cage at first, especially if you have got lively youngsters!

I would recommend to have a bit of soft hay in the carrier; the smell will help to reassure the piggies. Please don't put in too much; it can overheat the piggies. For such a short trip, they won't need water. You can place a handful of grass near their hideys after they arrive. Please be aware that it takes some days for piggies to settle in and much longer to come out of their shell, especially if they haven't had much in the way of human contact beforehand. Are you getting boys or girls?

Here are our tips on settling in new guinea pigs:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

Thank you! I am getting 2 sister sows so already bonded. They are quite skittish so going to allow plenty of time to settle in before handling (although resisting some cuddles is going to be difficult). I will keep things to a minimum to start then with some hidey places and hay/food. Maybe save the toys and tunnels for exercise time. Should I give them exercise on the first day or just give them time to settle?

Give them time to settle and start roaming only when they are comfy and confident in their cage. It is yet more foreign territory. it is very difficult to take a step back at first, but taking the time to build up trust will pay back manifold later on. ;)

Speak to them lots and lure them with little veg and herb treats once they are moving around the cage. You can find tips in the links I have given you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back