Some help advice a piggy passing please

katew

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry - I haven't posted for ages, but have had such good advice before that I thought I would ask again.

We have had piggies for about 15 years and try to keep a rolling group (mixed sex) going forward of 2 to 3 pigs. However we have just hit a complicated situation.

We went away over Easter and really sadly on Thursday evening our female pig became really unwell and passed away (only 4 years). Luckily my daughter (in her 20s) was home. We knew our girl pig was a bit under the weather and had lost a bit of weight but we really didn't see this coming. Ironically I was going to book her in with the vet next week. She was the most adorable and loving piglet. We got her in lockdown and she really made a huge impact on our family mental health during a difficult time - we are gutted.

The problem is that we now have a lonely male guinea pig. He is quite old - at least 6 (but I would have to check the date). I am going to observe him closely over the next few days but I don't know how to progress. Do we keep him as singleton (if he can cope) until he passes or we do try and introduce him to a new friend which might really stress him out?
Thank you

Sorry - I haven't posted for ages, but have had such good advice before that I thought I would ask again.

We have had piggies for about 15 years and try to keep a rolling group (mixed sex) going forward of 2 to 3 pigs. However we have just hit a complicated situation.

We went away over Easter and really sadly on Thursday evening our female pig became really unwell and passed away (only 4 years). Luckily my daughter (in her 20s) was home. We knew our girl pig was a bit under the weather and had lost a bit of weight but we really didn't see this coming. Ironically I was going to book her in with the vet next week. She was the most adorable and loving piglet. We got her in lockdown and she really made a huge impact on our family mental health during a difficult time - we are gutted.

The problem is that we now have a lonely male guinea pig. He is quite old - at least 6 (but I would have to check the date). I am going to observe him closely over the next few days but I don't know how to progress. Do we keep him as singleton (if he can cope) until he passes or we do try and introduce him to a new friend which might really stress him out?
Thank you

Hi and welcome back.

I am ever so sorry for your loss. It is great that you want to continue.

Would it be an option for you to adopt a stably bonded pair of piggies (boars or sows) that your old boy can live next to for interaction and stimulation, especially if you cannot get to a rescue that offers dating so you could find a live-in friend for your bereaved boy? That may be perhaps the best option for you to manage the transition with the least need for companionship searches although it may mean a second cage dor the transition - it could be smaller singles cage for your bereved boy.

Rescues are sadly full to the rafters with no longer wanted boars of all ages (many in stable pairs so you could start up with an adult pair past the big hormones). You may want to talk with all the rescues you can get to. It depends in which direction you want to continue. Sows or mixed gender pairs with a neutered boar are of course also a next door adoption option for you depending on what is available for adoption. Older sows are often not as welcoming to new piggies.
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Guinea-pig-forum-recommended-rescues

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

With a bereaved piggy you usually have got an ideal window between 1-4 weeks but if neutering or waiting for a special adoptee means a longer wait then it is usually worth it.

All the best.

Thank you - that is really good advice. Our nearest rescue is Burford Blue Cross - I will contact them.

They don't rescue date and will only rehome paired up piggies, so you are looking at a next door scenario with them.

All the best.

I agree. They only have boars at the moment and I think they have a policy of not placing males together. I will contact them tomorrow. Your article on Single Guinea pigs was really useful.

Hi Are you still looking for a senior male?
I am sorry for your loss also

Ah right, my piggie is unneutured male
Good luck in your search

Feeling for you katew. I had a similar situation with a senior boar who lost his younger female companion. We were lucky to have other pigs in the home that were bonded to one another that he was able to live next to and socialize with, without intruding on their dynamic. That is a lovely option if it is available to you. Bereavement is so so hard. Good luck going forward, wish you and your boy the best!

Back