Some Advice Sought On Cages, Bedding, And Other Preparations For Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Eliza

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So I'm trying to get prepared before I go out and adopt.... And I would like to avoid expensive mistakes that get pointed out at the home visit!

First, location: these will be indoor pigs and I've identified an alcove next to the fireplace in our family/doing room. It is away from direct sunlight from windows (although there is plenty of natural light available) and at least 9' from the radiator. It is a room which we frequent so the pigs would have regular interaction with us.

Question: is this too much interaction with us? My 7-year old son will play nearby (sometimes loudly) and although I'm perfectly confident he will not harm the pigs, might his noise or running frighten them? The tele is also in that room, and radio.

Second, cage: the alcove is 125cm wide only. I'm quite tempted by a two-tier indoor hutch (I can provide link to website if that's helpful and allowed) to maximise the space for my eventual pair (I'd love to get three to let them be more social, but I fear I can't eke out a large enough space). But from what I read nothing 'counts' except the ground floor and that's only 101x54 on this model (with another 82x54 up top).

So, I'm leaning towards a 3x2 C&C (can't quite squeeze a 4x2) - my concern is the openness in an area we will walk (and run) by regularly - will our passage scare the pigs? The hutch at least had the advantage of being more enclosed to make the pigs feel more secure.

Third (and last for this 'housing-themed' thread), lining: I'm leaning toward fleece with puppy pads underneath for ease of cleaning and to minimise odours. Any thoughts, tips, strong advocates for loose bedding?

Although this is all about housing, I thought it best placed in the wannabe section, but I'm happy for the moderators to relocate it if I've erred.

Cheers for you time and wisdom!

Hi there, I'm sure some more knowledgable people will come along with advice but in the mean time I can give my thoughts.

The location you've suggested sounds fine to me - guinea pigs, as far as I'm aware, will adapt to their surroundings and will most likely enjoy being in the middle of it all. My only slight concern would be that you mention it's near the fireplace - does it get quite warm in the alcove?

As for cage, personally I'd go for a c&c as it will offer a larger floor space for them, some people will say that 2x3 is not big enough but technically the floor space is at least equivelant to, if not larger than, a traditional 120 cage. I'm fairly certain the openess will be fine for the guinea pigs - what you can do is cover part of it with a blanket or something to give them a little area which they can hide in to feel more secure if they feel the need. Also, you could make the cage 3.5x2 to maximise the cage size if using c&c which you can't do with a standard cage.

As for beddding, I chose against fleece due to the expense of the added electricity (my parents pay the bills so I felt it unfair to burden them with the costs) plus the wear and tear on the washing machine (again, my parents'). I also felt it would take a lot of added work with regular spot cleans and full changes. I went for a paper based bedding called fitch. I don't find it smells that bad - even once wee'd on, I also find that - in a larger cage at least - it doesn't need changing quite as frequently as fleece. It is of course personal choice and circumstances - I live in the attic 3 floors up so shaking the fleece out is rather impratical as well as the other things I mentioned!

you can overlap the metal grids of c&c to maximise the space so it doesnt have to be 3x2 or 4x2 it can be inbetween but i think you would have to use cable ties . Someone might put me right on this. If you want more than two go for girls as boar trios very rarely work.I would also put them on a stand rather than on the floor to make them feel safer.As long as the telly etc isnt too loud they will get used to it.Give them loads of places to hide. I have mine on fleece but it is a lot of work. My cages are 5x3 and 5x4 so bedding isnt practical. They have litter trays. Where the litter trays are i peg fleece over the cage to make them feel safe and encourage them to use the litter trays.Hope this helps

Thanks for the helpful advice.

The fireplace isn't functional (chimney breast remove in the floors above) - so no risk of heating. I mention it to show the restrictions of the space.

Interesting idea to make 3.5 C&C .... How do you adapt the corex?

I am thinking of including a 2x1 loft both for the extra space (which doesn't technically count, but after giving enough ground space it is a bit more room, right?) - and as the loft gives a bit of safe covered space on the floor.

Fleece is more work? I was thinking it would be easier than 'mucking out' - why is it more work?

I use fleece and think it's really easy, I skip out everyday and change the fleece 2-3 times a week, I have 2 boars but they are actually pretty clean, bless them! I bought enough fleece so I have enough to change them all week and just do a big fleece wash at weekends, I use an old large pillow case tied at the top to stop little bits of hay etc getting in the washing machine, it's also really quick to dry, I find maybe 15 mins in the dryer and it's done, when the weathers nice I put it outside to dry which saves on costs. I have my boys in the conservatory which is more like a snug so really didn't want loads of bedding getting on the floors and being walked through the house, this is where I think fleece wins, apart from the odd bits of hay it's really tidy which might be good for you if your going to keep them in a room you use a lot. Obviously this is just my opinion on fleece, and it really is a case of whatever suits you best.

You can cable tie C&C grids to whatever length you need and either order the correx to the wanted size or cut it down yourself. All you need is a stanley knife and some duct tape. For folding up the sides, you just cut partly into the correx from the underside. With a C&C grid cage, it is also easier to add a hayloft for extra space.

It is always advisable to speak with the rescue you want to rehome from first about your plans before you order. Some have reservations about rehoming to a home with very young children after some very bad experiences.

Generally, our recommended rescues demand a minimum ground floor space of 120x60cm (or the equivalent of), so the cage can be shorter, but wider for instance. This is in accordance with the RSPCA minimum recommendations. A 100x50 cm tradional cage would be too small, but you can get a 120x60 cm front opening ferplast cage in your alcove.

Generally, what rehomers are looking out for is that
- the piggy housing is conforming to their minimum space requests/the pictures you have sent
- the piggies are safe from larger pets/predators etc.
- they want to get a general impression of you as to whether you care about your pets and that you are not an absolute dump like the kind they rescue animals from. Sadly, there are people who will go to any lengths to deceive in order to get their hands on certain animals.
- that young children's interaction with pets is supervised.

What they are NOT looking out for
- a super duper picture perfect home!
- supermum; just be your normal self - they are normal people rehoming to normal people! ;)

I have a fair number of adopted and foster piggies living in my living room, but so far, I have never heard complaints re. tv. The piggies adapt and enjoy the regular stimulation/interaction they get as house pets.

I second what Wiebke says :) The space you are mentioning is not big enough for 3 piggies anyway. As far as 2 are concerned then contact the Rescue for minimum requirements. I do remember the RSPCA saying a 120 cage I had at the time was not big enough for a pair, according to their requirements. If it's a C & C you may need a lid, especially if you have other pets. Guinea pigs are lovely animals, but unfortunately they are seen as "Easy" first children's pets, which, in my opinion, they aren't always. I have spent £1600 so far on one of mine, so be sure you get them insured or set up a vet fund for them, in case they are ever ill. With regards to noise, they do get used to a certain amount, but ours still will run away at the sound of a loud thud or something & they are in a relatively busy dining room. You need to be sure they will not be picked up by your son or his friends without supervision as well. It's great you are preparing & looking into this & good luck with the home check :)

I'd agree, guinea pigs aren't ideal first time pets for kids, but it's definitely possible for them to be great first time family pets - with parents taking the lead in the care and showing the children how to look after and behave around them. Most children can learn very quickly how to be kind and gentle with these animals as long as they're shown how. I remember when my friend's 4yr old visited and when he coughed the piggies got a fright so next time he said 'I'm going to go somewhere else to cough so I don't frighten them' - he was so gentle and caring with them because he saw that's how we were being!

Mine were ok inside for a few months in winter but in summer they should be taken outside loud noises can scare them and yes he could frighten them for bedding I use hay from pets at home, any sawdust as long as clean and paper bedding from any pet shop.:lol!: I hope they fit in well with u and ure family

Definitely check with the rescue about the size of cage you need, I was turned down due to my cage size. I would also imagine a rescue insisting on a lid if you have a dog. My guinea pigs are in the kitchen right in the 'walk way', all 4 of us, plus the dog and cat will pass by loads during the day, they don't have a problem with it! I actually think it's a positive thing, they never get 'forgotten'!

I've just changed from wood shavings to vetbed, I really like it! Poo sweep every day and a big clean out once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back