Soft veg and fruit

SarahO

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

Cookie seems to have a problem with his teeth until his appointment what fruit and veg can I give him? I read on here about giving round lettuce as it’s softer. He normally has romaine lettuce. His appointment is not till Wednesday afternoon so any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you ☺️

I don’t really have much experience on this but the only thing that sprang to mind is maybe the soft middle of cucumber. Or maybe purée some carrot or apple so they can lick it off of a spoon. (Though I know piggies can’t have too much apple or carrot)
Ps good luck with Cookie, I hope they feel better soon!

I’m sorry to hear he has a dental problem.

Your priority needs to be ensuring adequate fibre intake.
Ensure you switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him daily. This enables you to monitor independent hay intake more closely. Chances are that if he is struggling with veg that his hay intake has already reduced. Hay is three quarters of their food intake and is he is not eating enough he will be losing weight and you must step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed such as oxbow critical care. Mushed pellets can be used in an emergency.

Cutting veg into matchsticks can make it easier for them to manage but ensure it comes only after fibre intake has been addressed.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

I’m sorry to hear he has a dental problem.

Your priority needs to be ensuring adequate fibre intake.
Ensure you switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him daily. This enables you to monitor independent hay intake more closely. Chances are that if he is struggling with veg that his hay intake has already reduced. Hay is three quarters of their food intake and is he is not eating enough he will be losing weight and you must step in with syringe feeding a recovery feed such as oxbow critical care. Mushed pellets can be used in an emergency.

Cutting veg into matchsticks can make it easier for them to manage but ensure it comes only after fibre intake has been addressed.

All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures
I have ordered some oxbow critical care feed now after what you have advised. He has been eating a bit of veg now that I cut it smaller and only gave him the soft parts. Not as much as usual but he is eating it. He does eat his nuggets which is a good sign.

I have ordered some oxbow critical care feed now after what you have advised. He has been eating a bit of veg now that I cut it smaller and only gave him the soft parts. Not as much as usual but he is eating it. He does eat his nuggets which is a good sign.

Please use mushed pellets in the meantime as the emergency syringe feed in the absence of critical care. Also follow the emergency/bridging advice.
You are looking to feed a minimum of 60ml to help replace hay intake but the daily weight checks are your guide as to how much more you need to feed to maintain weight.

It’s good he is eating some veg but it doesn’t form nearly enough of the main food intake to sustain them if hay intake has dropped

You can place a bowl of plain dry porridge oats for him to try, healthy and easy to eat for dental s. Hope your vet appt goes well

Hi guys. Took cookie to the vet today. The vet could not see the back teeth so appt is booked for Friday morning. I will be leaving him there as he has to be under general anaesthetic to be able to look at them. In the meantime he has been drinking his water and eating a little of his nuggets. I am feeding him critical care throughout the day, he is trying to avoid it as no one likes to be force fed but it doesn’t take long and eats it. Not as messy either unlike Bailey was. So fingers crossed 🤞 hopefully we will get an answer by the end of friday

Today I fed CC to cookie between 3-4 times during the day. He again took it well, we have a routine between us: feed,eat,cuddles. Cookie will walk up to me after every mouthful is eaten and come close for cuddles. on one occasion he actually fell asleep! 😊 he is eating a little amount of nuggets and eating up his coriander and a little of the lettuce, even half a raspberry. I went food shopping today so tried to get some softer foods which is working. He hadn’t pooped for a couple of days and today they only just coming back, although still not healthy looking yet but it is coming back slowly. I hope the vet will be able to see the cause tomorrow

Good luck at the vets Cookie. I hope they find out what is wrong and that it's easily treated.

Ok. I got an update from the vet. He does have an issue with back teeth and his tongue would keep getting stuck. They gave 2 options. One get the teeth done but to be prepared that within 4-6 weeks it will be happening again or as he is an old man they can put him to sleep. I opted in for sorting the teeth but on the next occasion I may have to think about as he will be 7 next year. What are all your thoughts?

Cookie is home and as soon as he realised he was back home he came right up to wanting a treat. I have given him is veg and he went straight for it chomping away on bell pepper. Makes me so glad that I did not choose the 2nd option

Ok. I got an update from the vet. He does have an issue with back teeth and his tongue would keep getting stuck. They gave 2 options. One get the teeth done but to be prepared that within 4-6 weeks it will be happening again or as he is an old man they can put him to sleep. I opted in for sorting the teeth but on the next occasion I may have to think about as he will be 7 next year. What are all your thoughts?
That’s a tough choice.
Go with your heart.
You know Cookie best and you love him so the decision you make will be the right one.
Hugs :hug:

Cookie is back to not eating again. I will have to feed him CC again 😕 he appeared to have a choking session earlier as he was eating then opening his mouth really wide while stopping eating. Could he be in shock for that? He was doing really well before that

Maybe. Sometimes their confidence is lost. I hope he continues to eat well tomorrow 🤞🏻

This morning cookie still has not eaten. I’m wondering if it’s because the drugs have worn off and it’s painful. he now weighs 0.833kg he desperately needs some critical care so going to feed him every couple of hours to get that food inside him. He just sits there motionless Apart from constantly chewing. Poor thing I hope he gets better. If it doesn’t I will have to call the vets tomorrow when they are open

Guinea pigs metabolise medication very quickly.
My vet usually prescribes twice daily.
Can you go back to your vet to discuss the situation?
Yeah sure sounds like a good idea. Although tonight I brought up his veg an he is really interested in it but it’s like his teeth won’t hold the food or his teeth are too sensitive? 🤔

Definitely get more pain killers. They will really help him in the next few days.

They need them twice a day. What strength painkiller is he on? Cat or dog?

Back