• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Soft poops?

Lotteluvspigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I know that soft poops are an indication that somethings wrong with your guinea pig sometimes but both my guinea pigs (or at least one I'm not sure yet) have had soft poops ever since I got them 2 years ago. I'm not sure if there softer then usual but it's getting annoying cause it's sticking to their wood & plastic houses and is a hassle to clean. Is there any causes of this that aren't a sickness? I've had them for so long and they've been to many vet appointments and declared healthy so I'd assume it's not that.

Their diet consists of roughly 2 tablespoons of oxbow pellets (they split the one scoop), Timothy hay obv and romaine lettuce(1 leaf when its big more when it gets smaller etc.) with bell peppers every night and then whatever random safe veggies I have in my fridge (carrots, cilantro, carrot tops) <-- these are all sometimes not everyday.

So I'm pretty sure I'm feeding the right diet too? Just lost lol any help would be appreciated

Generally soft poops indicate a gut imbalance, too much veg vs fibre.
Things like carrot can bring in too much sugar - it doesnt sound like you feed them often though (one tiny round slice and given no more than once a week) but if there is any chance it could be that then stop giving carrot altogether (it’s not something they need in their diet at all - mine get a a small piece of carrot peeling once a year if they are lucky!)

Are their weights stable at each weekly check?

I agree about the carrots. Mine get softer poops when I used to feed more carrot. I don’t feed any carrot now.

Back