Soft hay for bedding

Suki&Indie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all! My piggies love to lounge in hay and I previously bought silky soft hay from littlehayco but it’s out of stock 🥲 so looking for recommendations!
I’ve looked at orchard grass and meadow hay from haybox but not sure how soft they are. I’ve also looked at the Cotswold sweet hay from littlehayco but since I'm in Northern Ireland shipping costs are quite expensive - especially since the majority of my bedding hay gets soaked and binned!
Any recommendations are welcome since I’m feeling a bit lost haha

I use orchard hay (from happy hay co) and it is very soft. I use orchard hay and a bale of meadow hay from a local farm as bedding

Hi all! My piggies love to lounge in hay and I previously bought silky soft hay from littlehayco but it’s out of stock 🥲 so looking for recommendations!
I’ve looked at orchard grass and meadow hay from haybox but not sure how soft they are. I’ve also looked at the Cotswold sweet hay from littlehayco but since I'm in Northern Ireland shipping costs are quite expensive - especially since the majority of my bedding hay gets soaked and binned!
I have orchard hay from haybox. I've found other hay suppliers orchard hay to not be soft enough. Mine have been prone to haypoke with other hay but not had any haypoke since using this hay.

I use orchard hay from Haybox. Have also used Cotswold Sweet from Little Hay Co. It’s less dry than Haybox hay. Shame it’s so expensive to ship to NI. But mine are indoor on fleece and seem to prefer lounging on vetbed rather than hay. Also worth trying local horse hay suppliers - often as soft as the piggie hay suppliers.

I buy a bale of hay from a local farm. A great option if you have one nearby and you can store a whole bale.

We have found this aswell! Our pigs were prone to hay poke so we swapped to the silky soft earlier this year and no dont know what to do it's out of stock! Did you find a decent soft alternative?

I second the orchard hay from Happy Hay recommendation, the latest box of it I've had has been very soft.

Mine love soft hay too and I recently tried soft meadow hay from My Rabbit Stuff (hopefully link will attach/work) and it’s nice but not green like the picture shows! I found I get through a lot, so have just ordered a box. I use silky soft too but last few batches have had some very stalky pieces in.
IMG_2282.webp
Cut at it’s best and then barn dried & stored.NEW BATCH 2023 Fresh soft English Meadow Hay- full of heads and bits to nibble . Very green with a herbal sce…
Source: My Rabbit Stuff
Meadow Hay-Soft

Mine love soft hay too and I recently tried soft meadow hay from My Rabbit Stuff (hopefully link will attach/work) and it’s nice but not green like the picture shows! I found I get through a lot, so have just ordered a box. I use silky soft too but last few batches have had some very stalky pieces in.
View attachment 251600
Cut at it’s best and then barn dried & stored.NEW BATCH 2023 Fresh soft English Meadow Hay- full of heads and bits to nibble . Very green with a herbal sce…
Source: My Rabbit Stuff
Meadow Hay-Soft
Thank you x

Back