So skittish and scared...what can I do for them?

• Thread starter Thread starter Kiki42
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kiki42

I just got 2 guinea pigs 2 days ago and they are very scared and skittish. :( They will only come out to to grab some food and then run back into their hut to eat it. They also look overweight to me, I don't think they got out much in their previous home. They are a pair of sisters and are 2 yrs old. Do you have any taming ideas so they don't freak everytime I walk in the room or when I put my hand in their cage to put their food in? They also haven't really even made a sound....I am getting worried about them :-\

Guinea pigs are naturally nervous! They have only been thre a couple of days! ;D

Give them some space and a chance to get used to things and I'm sure they will come out of their shells! As long as they are eating and drinking i dont think you have anything to worry about! They just need time!

Thanks PerfectPiggies, I am reassured now! :D

Nice to know its normal ;D Thanks again

Awwww bless them they will get used to you it took my 2 boys at least 3 wheeks before they would take food from my hand and today I have had a proper cuddle with no frightened wheeking. I took food to them and got them to gradually come out and take it from my hand and I also approach them talking and calling their names so they know its me coming and I dont just arrive out of nowhere! It might be a good idea to weigh them then you will get a good idea of how heavy they are and can then monitor their weight. ;)

Agree with what has been said. It will take some time for them to settle into their new environment. Keep a close eye on them, making sure they are eating and drinking O.K. (they will probably do more of this during the night). To start building up a bond first start by talking to them and checking on them throughout the first few days, next let them have a run about in an enclosure/run/room etc and just sit with them so they get use to you presence. After another few days start handfeeding them and handling them for a small period of time, a couple of times a day. Then just build up the time. Hope this helps. O0

Thanks everyone, you have all helped a great deal. I am going to take it slow with them, so they have time to get used to me and me to them. I will be weighing them quite soon and giving them floor time. I will try the treats on my hand and see if they will take it. Thanks again everyone for your advice and support, it is much appreciated. :D

Don't worry, my 2 were excatly the same, both overweight and nervous. All you can do is try to handle them every day, in my experience they never want to be caught but once they are on your lap they soon calm down. Strok them and offer them grass and before you know it they'll come squeaking when they see you coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back