So Many Things Going Wrong

hawaiiguineas

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I come to this forum for advice because I have watched so many videos and read so many articles about the problems I've been facing, but I haven't been able to figure out everything I'm doing wrong and how to fix it.

I bought a pair of sows, Wyn and Honey, from a pet store about two and a half months ago. They started out really scared but curious, and to be honest, it feels like I haven't made a ton of progress. Their relationship with each other is weird, for the first part. Although Honey doesn't love being handled, she is by far the more outgoing of the two of them. She is always the first to come out when I have vegetables, and is simply the more curious and confident pig. Wyn, on the other hand, is absolutely terrified of everything and refuses to be handled. It is a 5 minute ordeal every time I try and pick her up; it can be incredibly frustrating. That said, Wyn is also the more aggressive pig. When she wants to be in a particular hide, she will force Honey out, for instance. Although they're cute guinea pigs, I just don't think they've bonded to us at all, which is an incredibly disappointing and stressful situation.

To add onto that, a friend of mine asked me about two weeks ago if I could adopt her guinea pig. Her pair suddenly died, and she didn't want to leave the 3-year old guinea pig (Ember is her name) alone, as everyone states she's gonna die alone. I've tried to introduce Ember to Wyn and Honey multiple times, and each time it has not ended well. Wyn becomes incredibly aggressive, even when I am intentional about there being a lot of hides for everyone to rest in, and although Ember hasn't looked to be dominant towards Wyn, their interactions have at least once led to a ball of fur tumbling through the cage, forcing me to separate them. Wyn and Honey get together fine, as do Honey and Ember, but Wyn has been very aggressive towards Ember AND Honey ever since the new addition. I've tried everything I've found. I started them separate, then put their cages next to each other, then put them all in a new, neutral cage for them to explore. I toss food every time they're near each other as a form of positive reinforcement.

Is it normal for Wyn and Honey to not be really bonded to me at this point? How patient should I be about introducing Ember? How long of a process may that be? What should I be doing differently? I know there's a lot that I'm doing wrong, and I really want this to work, but every stage of this process has been wholly discouraging.

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Tyler

Welcome to the forum

I will be very honest and say that everything you are experiencing is normal. You arent doing anything wrong.
Piggies generally don’t like being handled. For a lot of them taking food from your hand is as far as it goes and is in fact a great sign of trust. With that said you have to be able to do some handling to get the routine weekly weight and health checks done, nail clipping etc.
She isn’t aggressive, she is just not afraid to tell you that she doesn’t want to be touched. Actually it’s a good thing - it’s a sign she trusts you enough to tell you. If she was sitting still and not resisting, that can be a sign of a piggy who is absolutely terrified to move.
I have four boys. Two are 6 years old and the other two are 16 months old. Of the two 6 year olds, one of them took a year and a half before he took food from me for the first time. The two eldest tolerate handling for the essential health reasons only. One of the 16 month olds is a nightmare to deal with at all but is very friendly towards me provided I don’t touch him. The other 16 month old is the only one who enjoys being stroked in his cage. To that end, I don’t routinely pick mine up for anything other than essential health reasons.

As for the bonding between the three piggies, I’m afraid by the fact a furball fight has occurred more than once, it sadly means that they will never bond. Adding a single piggy to a bonded pair is the bonding most likely to fail - the dominant in the pair may simply not want any other piggy in their pairing. They aren’t compatible and don’t like each other. You unfortunately can’t change that so they will need to remain in separate but side by side cages at all times. This will enable interaction between the bars but not have to share territory.

How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pigs Safely (videos)
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Welcome to the forum.
I can only echo what @Piggies&buns has said.
It can take several months for a piggy to stop being nervous.
It was nearly 6 months before my Phoebe stopped running to hide every time I came near.
Mine don’t like being touched or handled either but will be at the bars demanding food and happily take it from my hand.

Time and patience are called for.

We look forward to getting to know you.

Back