snugglesafes

RedLoredAmazon

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a couple of snugglesafes for my piggies. Cocoa is starting to slow down as he is about 4 to 5 years old and I think he will appreciate a nice toasty place to lay down on. I figure Oreo may want to steal his spot, so that's why I'm planning on getting two. So I have some questions about the snugglesafes. I have seen some reviews that talk about "exploding snugglesafes" or "leaking". Has anyone had that? How do I prevent that from happening? Also, how do you keep them clean? I cook food in the microwave sometimes and don't want my food smelling or flavored with piggy pee/poos. Or is there some sort of alternative that doesn't require the microwave? Do they need a slipcover or something like that?

I keep my house at 67 F/19.4 C at night and 69 F/20.5 C during the day. The thermostat is in the middle of the house and doesn't have the true reading of the piggy room. Sorry for the many questions, but I want to make sure my piggies stay comfortable during the winter.

Your room is warm enough for them to not need snugglesafes but you are right, some do appreciate a warm spot to sit on.

Snugglesafes come with one cover each. You may want buy/make some extra covers so you can wash one and have one on.

They are hard discs so wipe clean with a cloth. I always remove from the fleece cover to reheat so there is never any hay/hair getting in the microwave.

Never had one explode or leak, but it is important not to overheat them (you have it in for however many minutes dependent upon your microwave wattage), and allow them to cool down before reheating.

Microwave snugglesafes are safest because there are no wires piggies can chew.

Thank you! Your comments were really helpful. Cocoa has been avoiding the part of the cage near the window as it is colder there. That is normally his favorite napping spot so I know he isn't as comfortable there. If the sun is shining, he will be there again, but it is mostly gray skies her till springtime. I think I will be buying it still so he can have the choice to enjoy it or not.

I forgot to ask, can I put these in a cuddle cup under the padding? Or do I just put the snugglesafe in their house with the cover on it?

I've always microwaved my snugglesafes with their little jackets on as it makes them easier to handle when they are hot.. When I used the same microwave, I just thoroughly cleaned out the microwave oven every night with a good dose of antibac. I put them in cuddlecups under the padding and also under fleece hideys. If the piggies get too warm they just move off them.

Thank you! Your comments were really helpful. Cocoa has been avoiding the part of the cage near the window as it is colder there. That is normally his favorite napping spot so I know he isn't as comfortable there. If the sun is shining, he will be there again, but it is mostly gray skies her till springtime. I think I will be buying it still so he can have the choice to enjoy it or not.

I forgot to ask, can I put these in a cuddle cup under the padding? Or do I just put the snugglesafe in their house with the cover on it?

Absolutely, you can put it in a cuddle cup.
My boys all live outside in a shed so snugglesafes are essential for me. What I do is put them under hides and fill the hide with hay. I have some hides with snugglesafes and some without so they can choose whether they want to be on one or not but still be within a hide.

My poorly skinny pig has a snugglesafe. Well actually 2 - one for night, one for day. Mine retain heat for about 10 hours as it says. I put mine under the removable pad in his hidey more for comfort than anything else. I bought some extra covers as he spends a lot of time in his hidey now so they do get a bit wet 😬 To clean the snugglesafe itself I just wipe clean with disinfectant. And sometimes I use them just to warm up my arthritic hands after I’ve heated them up and before I put the cover on 🤣 but watch you don’t overheat. They get very warm without a cover.

I've no idea what I did with the covers for the snugglesafes but I've not used them in months anyway, I always put mine in the base of cuddle cups because the fit is perfect, and the goblins do appreciate it. And my house gets very cold, so every little helps for the skinnies.

Poor skinny piggies! That's one piggy type I would be a bit nervous about fostering. I mean I would, but I would be worrying about drafts on them. Thank goodness there are nice warm things for them to enjoy.

They cope relatively well :nod: it's overnight I dislike. I can keep their room 18-19C during the day but overnight I can't, so they get beds with fleecy inlay, and the cuddle cup beds with the Snugglesafes. Mostly so they can decide they want the bed the other is in and squabble about it all night.

The snuggle safes just arrived. Nobody warned me how big they are! They are huge! Like plate sized. I'm testing one right now to see how it works. We have a bad storm system coming in starting tomorrow evening. I'm not too worried about the snow, but the temperatures are supposed to drop at least 30 degrees in a few hours for the weekend. So our temperatures will be about 0 F/-17 C with windchill down to -30F/-34C! 🥶 We also will be having terrible winds so we may lose power. I know the snugglesafes will not work if the power does go out, but I have those handwarmers that you can snap that will heat up for 12 hours. Plus we have a fireplace so we can drag the cages into the room with the fireplace.

Hopefully we won't lose power, but I do have things ready in case we do. My only major concern is my really sick child. She has the flu really bad and hasn't been able to keep much down. Thankfully she hasn't thrown up yet today. I'm hoping that she will start getting better before the storm.

Oh my goodness that sounds like a seriously fierce storm 🥶. Do hope your power stays on. All the best to your poorly child too. Flu is grim - my go to is chicken soup when I have a fever. Never fails! Unless you’re vegetarian …

Hope you all stay safe and warm through the storm and don't lose power at all, also that your child feels better soon.

Glad you've got the snugglesafes available for your furry masters in case!
(Hope they are genuine snugglesafes - I saw some cheap copies on amazon when I was buying mine, there's a reason they're cheap and it probably explains the reports of exploding ones.)

Good news is we haven't lost power yet. Still can as the wind is just howling outside. I tried the snugglesafes last night and nobody wanted to have anything to do with them. I can tell as there is a lack of poos near them. But if we did lose power, they would have had an option to get warm. However, my sickly daughter really liked them! :))

Back