• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sneezing.

• Thread starter Thread starter jwhite0732
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jwhite0732

My guinea pig is sneezing and looks like he has a runny nose. Do GP's get sick? Should I be worried?
Jackie

Hi there firstly let me welcome you to the forum from us in OZ :)
It sounds like your piggie could have an URI, which can be treated by the vets, and i'm sure the girls will advise you to use Septrin. Unfortunatley nobody is awake yet in the UK but i know that once they are they'll help you with lots of advice :)
Good luck with your piggie, i hope you have a vet close to you in the US that you trust and is piggie savvy O0
If unsure of one in your area you could go onto the web site guinealynx which is based in the US, they have listings of vets all over the US O0
Let us know how you go O0

Does his chest rattle ?

Of course guinea pigs can get sick :) and this sounds like a URI or could be just a cold :P

Does he live outside ? :)

Hey :)

I think a vet would be best - it's not a good sign to be sneezing a lot and have a runny nose.

Good luck and they'll be fine after some medication O0

iloveanimals said:
Does his chest rattle ?

Of course guinea pigs can get sick :) and this sounds like a URI or could be just a cold :P

Does he live outside ? :)

His chest doesn't rattle and he doesn't live outside. Everything seems normal, like he's always running around and being curious...but he just sneezes and his nose looks wet.

oh yeah, what is URI?

Thanks for all the help guys. I hope it's nothing too serious. :-\

Upper respitory infection. Pigs are prone to them unforunatly. I'm sure he will be fine once treated, good luck! :)

it could be an allergy or something i suppose but i would think it's a URI
my pig patch (RIP) used to get this a lot however he did have a rattly chest with it, but he was always fine after vet treatment.
The best thing is too get him too a vet asap.
*MASSIVE HUGS* i'm sure he'll be fine! :)

If he lives inside it could well be an allergy. What Bedding is he on? Try a different one and see if that makes a difference.

Try leaving things like airfreshners and other things out of the room he's in and see if its them.

Take him to the vet too for some antibiotics and probiotics :)

yeah that would eb good if you could keep us updated. I've been thinking about it and i think if he hasn't got a rattly chest, as karen said it could well be an allergy not a URI, anyway, as others have said i would just go to the vets :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back