Sneezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuineaPigFan15

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What does a piggy sneeze sound like? I was holding Hazelnut on my lap when all of a sudden, she did a hard blow out of her nose! She did it around 7 times. Is that a piggy sneeze or...? Does it mean she is annoyed or something?

Looking up guinea pig sneezing on YouTube, doesn't mean she's annoyed, like human sneezes so do animals! But continuous sneezing could be a sign of illness!

I have a Hazelnut too! The odd sneeze is fine but continuously sneezing could be a sign of an URI. One evening my Hazelnut was on my lap for cuddles and proceeded to sneeze repeatedly. When I checked his nose there was a clear discharge from one nostril. Off to the emergency vet, yes URI, an injection of Baytril followed by 4 days of me syringing him liquid Baytril and probiotics and he was fine.

Is there any wetness around your Hazelnut;'s nose?

Looking up guinea pig sneezing on YouTube, doesn't mean she's annoyed, like human sneezes so do animals! But continuous sneezing could be a sign of illness!

I looked it up on YouTube, but all the guinea pigs that sneezed made sound! Hazelnut looks like she did a rather hard breathing out of her nose! No sound, except the same as us when we blow our nose hard.

I think that might be what they call a chut? Not sure on spelling, but I think that does mean she's annoyed. @Wiebke she will know the answer!

She could have had something in her nose or a slightly blocked nose? Most piggies sneeze occasionally throughout the day. You need to worry if the sneezing is persistent or if nose and eyes are crusty.

Breathing can become more noticeable when a piggy is stressed, like a new piggy at lap time.

Okay, thank you. I heard Coconut do it once the other day. They are new to lap time, at least with me. I'll still keep a lookout for discharge and/or crusty eyes and mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back