• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sneezing/wheezy

Rebecca01

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all
I’ve noticed over the last couple of days that one of my pigs has been sneezing more (not constantly, just more frequently) I have been keeping an eye on this- this morning when I got her out I listened carefully. She sneezed again and for a very brief moment I thought I could hear wheezy/raspy breathing. This then stopped and I couldn’t hear anything- could this just be a one off or is it likely to be something developing? What is treatment usually for this kind of thing?

She is eating and drinking fine, nose doesn’t seem to be runny, eyes are clear. I keep trying to listen to her chest but all she wants to do is sniff my hair and squeak so I can’t hear very well!

Hi all
I’ve noticed over the last couple of days that one of my pigs has been sneezing more (not constantly, just more frequently) I have been keeping an eye on this- this morning when I got her out I listened carefully. She sneezed again and for a very brief moment I thought I could hear wheezy/raspy breathing. This then stopped and I couldn’t hear anything- could this just be a one off or is it likely to be something developing? What is treatment usually for this kind of thing?

Hi

Respiratory infections are bacterial and not viral; they do not usually start with sneezing and coughing. It rather sounds like a sensitivity or something stuck in the nose.

If you have concerns, a quick way to assess the issue is by holding your ear against the nose, the throat and the lungs (being aware that noises from the throat will echo down so it takes a bit of practice to distinguish whether you are hearing the lungs or the echoes). But you can usually hear clearly whether something is sitting just in the nose or whether it is in the throat. This can help you allay some worries.

See whether a bowl of steaming water next to the cage can alleviate the sneezing.

Fondle her ear and hold it between two fingers to assert your authority and demand compliance. You can give lots of praise and a treat afterwards.

Hi

Respiratory infections are bacterial and not viral; they do not usually start with sneezing and coughing. It rather sounds like a sensitivity or something stuck in the nose.

If you have concerns, a quick way to assess the issue is by holding your ear against the nose, the throat and the lungs (being aware that noises from the throat will echo down so it takes a bit of practice to distinguish whether you are hearing the lungs or the echoes). But you can usually hear clearly whether something is sitting just in the nose or whether it is in the throat. This can help you allay some worries.

See whether a bowl of steaming water next to the cage can alleviate the sneezing.
That’s good! I was panicking it would be a URI but it sounded more like she has a bit of a sniffle, and again I noticed it first from the sneezing. Only spent £160 at the vets a couple of weeks back for lice, thinking oh god we’ll be back there!
it’s on and off and ofcourse every time I try to listen she is making sone sort of noise or wriggling! I will try the water too, annoyingly I am going out today but as soon as I am back will check in with her. Hopefully it’s just an irritation and will clear over the day…

That’s good! I was panicking it would be a URI but it sounded more like she has a bit of a sniffle, and again I noticed it first from the sneezing. Only spent £160 at the vets a couple of weeks back for lice, thinking oh god we’ll be back there!
it’s on and off and ofcourse every time I try to listen she is making sone sort of noise or wriggling! I will try the water too, annoyingly I am going out today but as soon as I am back will check in with her. Hopefully it’s just an irritation and will clear over the day…

Just keep an eye on it and see a vet on Monday if the sneezing hasn't settled or there is a clear and persistent rasping/crackling in the throat by then. Hopefully, it will settle down again after a few hours.

Back