• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sneezing Baby...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StannyUK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys,
We picked up little Corona last week who is approx 9 weeks old. We have our piggies outside and put them in the run whenever we can. Obviously with the weather, there hasnt been alot of chances but as it was sunny yesterday we got them out so they could play, stetch their legs and get seom yummy grass.

Today we have opened the hutch and the baby is sneezing every now and then. Is this because it was a little too damp still or purely cos she is so ickle?

Any one suggest anything, we have check her over and there is no runny nose or leaky eyes. She is in the run now and munching away and popcorning...

Thanks in advance

Stannyuk

Maybe you could have a bit of excess dust in the hay? Do you buy dust extracted hay? O0

It says it on the packaging but I'm not overly impressed. Tried so many different types. Even dustfreehay.com or whatever it is wasnt dust free (am i too strict?)

We will monitor her today as we are having a grooming session for all 5 and if its still like this, then its the vets tomorrow, I'm not losing a 9week old baby!

Take no chances! My collegue has had two die in the past year overnight after sneezing one day, gone the next morning. :'( She disinfected everything and is a knowledgable piggy mum so be careful!

hi i would advise taking him to the vet
did you have him on the grass?
if so it's possible that it was still damp and may have caused a bit of an infection i can't stress how important it is to have him checked as i have had some narrow misses with gideon this year with chest infections

we will see how the little madam is tomorrow and if so, ship her off to the vets....

Thanks for the advice

Don't put her with the others and handle her/see to her last in case its infectious. There's a lot of 'bugs' about due to the lack of cold weather.

today there was no sneezing, all seem absolutely fine.... Now I'm getting paranoid from what youve all said! I will do another check tomorrow and if there is any sniffles at all she is off to vets...

Sorry, but its best to be safe than sorry, particularly as she's new :) It could just be the bedding is she only on hay? Enjoy your baby don't get paranoid :)

thanks for asking. She doesnt seem to be sneezing but because I'm paying loads more attention some of the others will sneeze occasionally... Could be paranoia. They are all still popcorning, running round like crazy and wheeking their heads off so none appear to be ill. We did find a scab on moets back (very thick hair) so we applied some powder and are going to bath all 5 tomorrow. As corona is only 9 or 10 weeks old, is it ok to bath her? We have been very careful in the past with the others, luke warm water, none on the face and lots of warm towels but not sure if the baby could cope with it....

Gorgeous Guineas do a mini pig shampoo, or you could use one of the others but just don't leave it on for as long and do a patch test first remember :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back