Smokey/Meringue bonding thread

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m just going to use this for any advice while I bond Smokey (my 6 year old boar) with Meringue* (new pig, around 1 year). This is my first time doing bonding but I will be using the very helpful guides!

Meringue got home about an hour ago and they are currently in a side by side cage, Smokey hasn’t showed a whole lot of interest other than a few sniffs but meringue is chewing and tugging at the divider, is this normal behaviour or does that suggest he may be hostile in the bonding?
*temporary name from the rescue!

Hi all,
I’m just going to use this for any advice while I bond Smokey (my 6 year old boar) with Meringue* (new pig, around 1 year). This is my first time doing bonding but I will be using the very helpful guides!

Meringue got home about an hour ago and they are currently in a side by side cage, Smokey hasn’t showed a whole lot of interest other than a few sniffs but meringue is chewing and tugging at the divider, is this normal behaviour or does that suggest he may be hostile in the bonding?
*temporary name from the rescue!

Hi

It's difficult to say at this stage. Meringue sounds like a normal teenage/young adult boar. Give them a little more time.

I think we’re going to try the bonding tomorrow, meringue has settled in nicely and I think the interaction through the bars has been quite normal. Meringue has rumblestrutted along the divide a little bit and has been chewing the bars, Smokey has for the most part been ignoring meringue except for the few times he’s gone up to him to sniff his nose. Keeping my fingers crossed for a successful bond tomorrow! 🤞🏽

I think we’re going to try the bonding tomorrow, meringue has settled in nicely and I think the interaction through the bars has been quite normal. Meringue has rumblestrutted along the divide a little bit and has been chewing the bars, Smokey has for the most part been ignoring meringue except for the few times he’s gone up to him to sniff his nose. Keeping my fingers crossed for a successful bond tomorrow! 🤞🏽

All the best! Brace for some excitment from Meringue. It all depends on how Smokey will cope with it.

About an hour into the bonding… all seems okay at the moment, meringue has done a lot of humping on Smokey and some rumblestrutting but Smokey seems to be letting him do his thing. Smokey has done the occasional teeth chatter (hoping that’s not a bad sign!) but they have eaten the hay together.

They’ve just had a nap together and all seems to have settled down apart from the occasional humping from meringue!
In regards to meringue’s humping, will this stop once they’re fully bonded or will he continue to do it to assert his dominance/ because of his teenage hormones?

About an hour into the bonding… all seems okay at the moment, meringue has done a lot of humping on Smokey and some rumblestrutting but Smokey seems to be letting him do his thing. Smokey has done the occasional teeth chatter (hoping that’s not a bad sign!) but they have eaten the hay together.

The teeth chatter lets Meringue know that Smokey is not pleased. As long as it is low level, you need not worry.

Meringue is behaving like a normal young, somewhat overexcited boar. It all depends on whether Smokey is willing to sit it out until he calms down eventually or not. But there is no initial outright personality clash.

Just give them time in the bonding pen (if necessary overnight) to work as much out of the system as possible on neutral ground before you transfer - it means less territorial dominance and shenanigans in the cage and a settling in that is a lot smoother if they can get the roughest bit out of the way first. If I have learned one thing over the years is to never rush this phase. The more bonded the boys feel when they are transferred, the less trouble as they make themselves at home and establish their new group.

Just an update:
They are still in the bonding pen and have had a couple of naps together. Meringue is still doing the occasional hump but Smokey has started trying to run away when he does this, is this Smokey saying he’s getting a bit annoyed with it now or just a normal reaction after a full day of humping!? He’s still doing the submissive squeal and Meringue is giving him breaks in between when they will eat hay together.

Just an update:
They are still in the bonding pen and have had a couple of naps together. Meringue is still doing the occasional hump but Smokey has started trying to run away when he does this, is this Smokey saying he’s getting a bit annoyed with it now or just a normal reaction after a full day of humping!? He’s still doing the submissive squeal and Meringue is giving him breaks in between when they will eat hay together.

Smokey is obviously accepting Meringue's dominance. But as they are sleeping together and Meringue's humping is not over the top, the bonding has essentially worked and will in time settle down over the coming two weeks. The first 3-4 days are usually the roughest. :tu:

Thank you for your help and advice! They have just moved into the cage, with two exit hides and a big pile of hay and everything seems nice and calm. Very happy the bonding seems to have been successful 😊

So pleased the bonding has worked.
Hope the next few days will see them settle happily together.
You can relax this evening - bonding can be very stressful for the human.
They are a stunning pair 🥰

I am glad that the bonding has worked out and that the transfer has gone smoothly.

Back