• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Smelly urine and wet bum

Dreamer99

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I have recently rescued a 4.5 year old guinea pig and paired him with my existing boar who was also bereaved. I've had two boys previously but the newest boy Gingernut seems to wee a lot and sometimes has a wet bum His urine smells much worse worse than the other piggies. Just wondering if this is normal with older age?

Hello, I have recently rescued a 4.5 year old guinea pig and paired him with my existing boar who was also bereaved. I've had two boys previously but the newest boy Gingernut seems to wee a lot and sometimes has a wet bum His urine smells much worse worse than the other piggies. Just wondering if this is normal with older age?
It can be, each piggie (like people) all have different b/o scents. Depending on what he was eating before and what you feed him now could help. Or it might just be him

No it’s not normal for them to smell and be wet. I can certainly say my older piggies don’t smell any different to my younger piggies.
Being consistently wet can be a sign of a urinary issue. sometimes if an older pig is sitting in urine then ruling out arthritis is a good idea.
The best thing is to have him checked by a vet to rule out any medical issue first.
Then, ensure you keep his hair around his back end cut short to ensure it doesn’t pick up any debris.
Make sure any fabric bedding is wicking properly and use smaller fabric pee pads in high traffic areas such as under hides as they can be removed daily.

No it’s not normal for them to smell and be constantly wet.
Being consistently wet can be a sign of a urinary issue. sometimes if an older pig is sitting in urine then ruling out arthritis is a good idea.
The best thing is to have him checked by a vet to rule out any medical issue first.
Then, ensure you keep his hair around his back end cut short to ensure it doesn’t pick up any debris.
Make sure any fabric bedding is wicking properly and use smaller fabric pee pads in high traffic areas such as under hides as they can be removed daily.
Yes, always rule out illness first. I missed the part being wet, that is no good! Good luck!

Hi

Here is our guide for the urinary tract.

Please have any new arrival from a less than ideal background who has not already undergone a quarantine/any necessary medical care at a good welfare standard rescue vet checked upon arrival.

All the best! I hope that it is just a urinary tract infection of some sort if you have given your new boy a bum bath and trim and the problem still persists.

Any crying while weeing?

Is he a long haired piggy? Our long haired ladies we had to keep bum fur carefully shorter to avoid dampness and matts at times..

Be lovely to see some photos of your piggies in the stories and photos section of the forum

Back