Smelly Pigs - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dani G

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know there has been a post about this recently which I have read but I am still stuck. My indoor piggies stink! I have two boars, in a 2x6 c&c cage, and I use CandE fleece liners which I believe have an absorbent layer inside and I am fully cleaning them out every day. I am using neat white vinegar to wipe down the cage and I use it in the washing machine as well. I love having my boys inside (even though my mother in law thinks I'm a lunatic), but now considering moving them outside!

Help!

Dani xx

I'm not much good with indoors as all mine are outdoors, but I used to have indoor. I've never tried cage liners but I would have thought dog puppy pads might be better, perhaps more absorbent? If you are using C&C and it's lined with correx I see no reason in not using something like auboise. As long as you seal the correx you could easily use another type of bedding rather than fleece. When I had indoor piggies the fleece was just too smelly for me. I know others have had better results with fleece and it's personal preference.
I find using an equine bedding isn't dusty, absorbs everything better, has no issues with the pigs feet, cleaning once a week.

Hi I use fleece now only because the sawdust would get stuck around Mo's man bits. Sawdust smelled alot nicer but I clean Mo out morning and night and thoroughly wipe the cage once a week. His fleece gets washed every 3/4 days. He is a bit pongy sometimes but usually it smells alright and he lives in my bedroom so you can see that it isn't that bad. His hay is quite fra grant so that masks some of it I suppose. All I can say is try a new bedding perhaps?

@Dani G Is it the cage that smells or the pigs?

It's worth experimenting with different types of bedding if it's the cage, there will be something that works for you.

If it's the pigs and they smell like pee then it could be a sign of infection or urinary problems and they're dribbling wee. This would need a vet visit.

Or is it a boy pig smell? They can get stinky when they're rumblestrutting around. My partner says our boar Podrick smells like burning rubber when he's rumbling and flapping his bottom around. One of our previous foster pigs, Spencer, was the stinkiest boy ever when he was rumbling. We never could work out how such a small pig could create such toxic fumes.

Silly question but are the liners smelling despite being washed? Have you put a bit of white vinegar in instead of softener. This helps take lingering smells from the fleece.

How long have your 2 boys been in this cage? Could it just be them having a scent competition over dominance again due to new surroundings?

And also what @Jaycey asked. Could it just be the boys themselves?

I use vetbed with puppy pads it locks any urine smell underneath. The only time I notice a smell is when there are fresh poops in the cage and they have been eating green food like cabbage, kale or grass, they have been on the lawn today and they smell now. I'm off to do the second poop pick of the day!

I know there has been a post about this recently which I have read but I am still stuck. My indoor piggies stink! I have two boars, in a 2x6 c&c cage, and I use CandE fleece liners which I believe have an absorbent layer inside and I am fully cleaning them out every day. I am using neat white vinegar to wipe down the cage and I use it in the washing machine as well. I love having my boys inside (even though my mother in law thinks I'm a lunatic), but now considering moving them outside!

Help!

Dani xx

I'd just like to add that I also have C&E liners in a similar setup and have experienced no smell issues at all. I do have a smaller additional liner under the hay area and food bowl as this is where the most pee happens but even changing that small pad every few days I can't say I ever really get a whiff of much.

I know that this sounds crazy but could you be cleaning them too much? As boars tend to scent mark their cage. When I clean out mine I tend to change a bit at a time. I leave in beds or cosies that have been scented by them. And only change the liners. Then the next day I do the beds so they don't go crazy scenting everywhere. Lol. I have also got a megazorb and hay section at one end of the cage and they tend to pee in there a lot. I put vinegar in the softener section of the machine and non bio liquid in the soap section.

Did you make the liners yourself or buy them online? I've noticed that some liners sold online just have wadding in the middle which I would imagine would smell.

I really wouldn't put them outside, I'm sure you'll find a different bedding that will suit you :)

I'm not much good with indoors as all mine are outdoors, but I used to have indoor. I've never tried cage liners but I would have thought dog puppy pads might be better, perhaps more absorbent? If you are using C&C and it's lined with correx I see no reason in not using something like auboise. As long as you seal the correx you could easily use another type of bedding rather than fleece. When I had indoor piggies the fleece was just too smelly for me. I know others have had better results with fleece and it's personal preference.
I find using an equine bedding isn't dusty, absorbs everything better, has no issues with the pigs feet, cleaning once a week.

Thanks for your comment, I wasn't sure about using a different bedding but will give be it a go if we give up on the fleece. Thanks x

Hi I use fleece now only because the sawdust would get stuck around Mo's man bits. Sawdust smelled alot nicer but I clean Mo out morning and night and thoroughly wipe the cage once a week. His fleece gets washed every 3/4 days. He is a bit pongy sometimes but usually it smells alright and he lives in my bedroom so you can see that it isn't that bad. His hay is quite fra grant so that masks some of it I suppose. All I can say is try a new bedding perhaps?

When you say you clean out morning and night do you mean wash the fleece twice a day? Thanks for your message, I would like to make the fleece liner work as spent money on buying them but will try new bedding if all else fails

@Dani G Is it the cage that smells or the pigs?

It's worth experimenting with different types of bedding if it's the cage, there will be something that works for you.

If it's the pigs and they smell like pee then it could be a sign of infection or urinary problems and they're dribbling wee. This would need a vet visit.

Or is it a boy pig smell? They can get stinky when they're rumblestrutting around. My partner says our boar Podrick smells like burning rubber when he's rumbling and flapping his bottom around. One of our previous foster pigs, Spencer, was the stinkiest boy ever when he was rumbling. We never could work out how such a small pig could create such toxic fumes.

I've just had a really good sniff and I don't think it's the pigs that are stinky, it's the cage. I thought it was the smell of pee but after reading your reply I think it could be as you say a boar smell. I have a herd of 1 boar and 6 sows outside and the smell of their fleece is completely different. The inside boys smell is kind of deeper, they do rumblestrut constantly so maybe that's it! I'm guessing if it's that the smell will happen what ever the bedding? Is it something that passes in time? Thanks again xx

Silly question but are the liners smelling despite being washed? Have you put a bit of white vinegar in instead of softener. This helps take lingering smells from the fleece.

How long have your 2 boys been in this cage? Could it just be them having a scent competition over dominance again due to new surroundings?

And also what @Jaycey asked. Could it just be the boys themselves?

I use vinegar in the fabric softener bit and after a clean of cage and wash of liner it and the set up doesn't smell, and I don't think it's the boys themselves that stink. They have been together in this cage since just before Christmas, but I would say the smell is getting worse rather than better in the time they have been together. Pumpkin was always rumbling constantly and Buddy more submissive but recently Buddy is also rumbling so maybe it's their dominance making them sent. They are 4 & 6 months old so is it's the time I should expect dominance issues? Will it pass?

I use vetbed with puppy pads it locks any urine smell underneath. The only time I notice a smell is when there are fresh poops in the cage and they have been eating green food like cabbage, kale or grass, they have been on the lawn today and they smell now. I'm off to do the second poop pick of the day!

Thanks for your reply, I think I will try puppy pads. Should I do it under the fleece?

I know that this sounds crazy but could you be cleaning them too much? As boars tend to scent mark their cage. When I clean out mine I tend to change a bit at a time. I leave in beds or cosies that have been scented by them. And only change the liners. Then the next day I do the beds so they don't go crazy scenting everywhere. Lol. I have also got a megazorb and hay section at one end of the cage and they tend to pee in there a lot. I put vinegar in the softener section of the machine and non bio liquid in the soap section.

Thanks for your reply. That does make sense, I don't have beds or cosies at the moment as I wanted to save on the washing, I'll defiantly put them back in and try leaving the bedding in and washing it on a different day to the liner. I've got a hay rack with tray underneath on order so if they pee in that I can just change that every day instead of the lot.

I love the picture of your set up, it looks great and given me lots of ideas. Thank you

IMG_1206.webp

Did you make the liners yourself or buy them online? I've noticed that some liners sold online just have wadding in the middle which I would imagine would smell.

I really wouldn't put them outside, I'm sure you'll find a different bedding that will suit you :)

Thanks for your reply. I ordered it on line from CandE cosies, they are supposed to be very good, and weren't cheap so would hope they aren't the problem. I'll try some different bedding options. Thanks

I use vinegar in the fabric softener bit and after a clean of cage and wash of liner it and the set up doesn't smell, and I don't think it's the boys themselves that stink. They have been together in this cage since just before Christmas, but I would say the smell is getting worse rather than better in the time they have been together. Pumpkin was always rumbling constantly and Buddy more submissive but recently Buddy is also rumbling so maybe it's their dominance making them sent. They are 4 & 6 months old so is it's the time I should expect dominance issues? Will it pass?

Ah ha adolescent piggies. Yes you can expect a little more dominance challenges and stink as the teenage hormones are raging. It will pass in time :)

We use the cage fresh granuels you can get from pets at home, when the pigs pee it gives of a nice smell so is a life saver. It's really useful for indoor pigs and it keeps the cage fresher for longer.

When you say you clean out morning and night do you mean wash the fleece twice a day? Thanks for your message, I would like to make the fleece liner work as spent money on buying them but will try new bedding if all else fails

Oh sorry could've made it a little clearer. I get the poos off and then shake the fleece free of the hay which Mo loves to pull through the bars and collect in a pile. The fleece is washed every 3 or 4 days inless it is really bad but generally it keeps clean. :)

Thanks for your reply. I ordered it on line from CandE cosies, they are supposed to be very good, and weren't cheap so would hope they aren't the problem. I'll try some different bedding options. Thanks

Ah okay I don't have experience with them but I'd imagine they're good then! Have you got hay trays? I find that they use them like litter trays so it's easier to keep the smell down and change them every few days :)

I use pine magic in them with hay on top, keeps it sweet :)

I use hay trays, and that takes most of the wees from the piggies. It has to be changed every other day as the pads underneath are saturated. I put puppy pads under all hidies and they also get changed frequently.

I use puppy pads underneath the fleece so that the correx doesn't get damaged smelly etc, could it be the boar smell ? Grease gland or something like that. My long haired MoMo is extra smelly and has to be bathed as she gets wee on her hair lol x

Ah ha adolescent piggies. Yes you can expect a little more dominance challenges and stink as the teenage hormones are raging. It will pass in time :)

I hope it does pass in time xx

We use the cage fresh granuels you can get from pets at home, when the pigs pee it gives of a nice smell so is a life saver. It's really useful for indoor pigs and it keeps the cage fresher for longer.

That's really interesting, I'll look out for cage fresh granules. Thank you xx

I put puppy pads under the fleece, I have to make sure they are tucked out the way or mine eat them!

Thank you. I put puppy pads under the fleece liner last night, fingers crossed it works xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back