Smelly Piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutButter

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just recently got a shorthair male guinea pig, and he's just the most wonderful little guy. But when I'm holding him, he starts smelling like poop even though he's not pooping. He does poop a lot during the cage but the smell continues during cuddle time. Is this normal?

Are his droppings smelly? How do the droppings look like, are they perhaps softer than normal? Is he eating and drinking properly? To be sure he hasn't got an illness, you should collect the droppings 2 days and take them to a vet for an examination (e. g. coccidia or worms).
Two years ago I had got a new guinea pig whose droppings were smelly and it didn't eat properly. The examinations (three times, because the 2 first ones were without diagnosis) of the poop showed one (only one single !) worm egg. But the anti-worm-medication helped very good: two day after the medication started, the smell was away and my little piggy started to eat with a good appetite.
Sometimes it is very stressful for a guinea pig when it comes into a new home and then it can become ill. You should take the litte boy together with a collection of his poop to a vet to be examined. Guinea pig poop normally does not stink!
All the best for the little boy!

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Is it possible that he is smelling of his bedding? Boars do scent their bedding and their male smell can linger with them.
Or is it possible that he has an infection. Is his wee smelly or are his poos soft and sticky? Is his genital area clean or dirty?

Hi thanks so much for responding!

No his wee isn't smelly at all. He's peed on me a couple of times but I didn't even notice! And his poop isn't smelly either. I don't know what it could be from. And today I just introduced to him a new baby guinea so he won't be lonely, he stuck his bum out and it smelled horrible! But from what I'm reading this is normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back