Smelly Pee?

Adelyn

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
In the last 2 months or so, the piggies' fleece liners have really started to smell. After they get washed, they're perfectly fine, but when the piggies use one for a few days it starts to smell again. I put in a fresh fleece once a week. Odors never used to be a problem, so I'm wondering what caused it. I tried airing the fleece out, but it didn't help. I use GuineaDad liners. Should I get new ones? I'm hesitant because they're quite pricey and I don't know if they will stay smelling fine.
I don't know if this is related, but I've been noticing orangish stains (from pee, I suppose) on the fleece. I see white or whitish-yellow stains on the fleece all the time, but the orange ones are new. Their diet hasn't changed. This is what they get each:

IMG_3588.jpg

Should I change anything? Thank you!

^ hopefully you will be helped by this thread swissgreys has linked over!

i’ve never experienced this myself, do you use fleece pee pads in favourite places to remove throughout the week? how many pigs, how big is your cage? i change my girl fleece once a week too but lay fleece pee pads in the places my girls like the most. i also use 2x1 fleece toppers in the loft and remove / change throughout the week as my girls like to wee up there most! have always used cage liners (and these pee pads / liners / accessories) from candecosies, they contain zorb, honestly amazing i would never go anywhere else now!

^ hopefully you will be helped by this thread swissgreys has linked over!

i’ve never experienced this myself, do you use fleece pee pads in favourite places to remove throughout the week? how many pigs, how big is your cage? i change my girl fleece once a week too but lay fleece pee pads in the places my girls like the most. i also use 2x1 fleece toppers in the loft and remove / change throughout the week as my girls like to wee up there most! have always used cage liners (and these pee pads / liners / accessories) from candecosies, they contain zorb, honestly amazing i would never go anywhere else now!
I have an 8 square foot cage with 2 piggies. I change out the GuineaDad liner once a week. That's a good idea to use pee pads in the piggies' favorite areas, I may try that!

Liners can need to be changed more often than once a week, particularly in a smaller cage. Using pee pads will definitely make things easier enabling you to remove them more frequently and may make the liner last a week again.

As an aside, is the herb parsley? If so, ensure that isn’t fed daily. It is high in calcium and should only be once a week. Coriander can be fed daily.

Liners can need to be changed more often than once a week, particularly in a smaller cage. Using pee pads will definitely make things easier enabling you to remove them more frequently and may make the liner last a week again.

As an aside, is the herb parsley? If so, ensure that isn’t fed daily. It is high in calcium and should only be once a week. Coriander can be fed daily.
Oh, yes, that is parsley. I do feed it daily :doh:
I've read in several places that you can feed it daily, but I guess they were wrong:oops:

Definitely cut it down to no more than once a week.
It’s certainly not something to be fed daily.

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

From "Edible and Forbidden Veg and Fruit list With Vitamin C Grading," it lists coriander (which you said can be fed daily) as high in calcium, same as parsley (which you said cannot be fed daily). Can you please explain your reasoning?
(I apologize if this sounds snarky, I am genuinely curious :nod: )

From "Edible and Forbidden Veg and Fruit list With Vitamin C Grading," it lists coriander (which you said can be fed daily) as high in calcium, same as parsley (which you said cannot be fed daily). Can you please explain your reasoning?
(I apologize if this sounds snarky, I am genuinely curious :nod: )

You’ve misunderstood the guide and confused vit c content and calcium content - they are two different things.
The guide and its headings are for vitamin c grading, not calcium.

Both coriander and parsley are high in vitamin c hence why they are both in the same section.

However -

Coriander is not high calcium and the guide does not say it is. Coriander is safe daily, along with bell pepper, cucumber and lettuce.

Parsley is high calcium (as well as being high vit c) and there are brackets after it stating that it is high calcium. Therefore parsley should not be fed daily.
All high calcium veg (kale, parsley, spinach amongst the highest) needs to be kept limited to no more than once a week.

I hope that helps

You’ve misunderstood the guide and confused vit c content and calcium content - they are two different things.
The guide and its headings are for vitamin c grading, not calcium.

Both coriander and parsley are high in vitamin c hence why they are both in the same section.

However -

Coriander is not high calcium and the guide does not say it is. Coriander is safe daily, along with bell pepper, cucumber and lettuce.

Parsley is high calcium (as well as being high vit c) and there are brackets after it stating that it is high calcium. Therefore parsley should not be fed daily.
All high calcium veg (kale, parsley, spinach amongst the highest) needs to be kept limited to no more than once a week.

I hope that helps
Thank you very much! :)

Back