Smelly cage !

Lotteluvspigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't exactly remember when their cage started to smell, it could have been when it started to warm up and it's stinking cause of the heat but my guinea pigs cage stinks.

Even just two days after washing their liner (it's a guineadad liner and it's supposed to last a week) it smells bad and I don't really know why, I mean I do have suspicions. For example my cage is a 2x5 c&c and the biggest size guineadad makes is a 2x4 liner so 1x2 of the grids are improvised by a diaper changing pad and fleece on top of it (it seemed to work fine before but now for some reason they like it more and are always peeing on it).

Now I'm realizing as I type this that that's probably the problem (unless you guys can think otherwise) but I would love some suggestions on what to use for that 1x2 area that really takes in lots of pee without it being too smelly.

How long have you had the liner? They wear out/lose absorbency eventually if I remember correctly.

Is it the hay that may be smelling? Wet hay can smell. The other thing is if you have boys, cleaning too often can lead to them scent marking even more.

You could use shavings for the 1x2 area, replacing any wet patches daily. Or some other similar disposable bedding. You could also put down puppy pads and top with fleece, for simplicity.

Is it the hay that may be smelling? Wet hay can smell. The other thing is if you have boys, cleaning too often can lead to them scent marking even more.

You could use shavings for the 1x2 area, replacing any wet patches daily. Or some other similar disposable bedding. You could also put down puppy pads and top with fleece, for simplicity.
Yeah it's not the hay it's just this one spot they love so much they soak through the liner and hideys but I'll definitely try puppy pads thanks!

A good idea would be to cover the area with a litter tray and fill with some wood shavings and hay

that way the area is fully covered and more potential they might pee in the tray and not so much on the liner

Back