smell in cage

Mon59

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. I have 2 lovely girls about 2 years old. 1 spayed. 1 not splayed.

Spot cleaned daily and on Megazorb or Aubiose. Fully cleaned weekly . Anti bac … everything disinfected) Kept inside.

The smell has increased significantly over the summer which I put down to higher temperatures. This week with cooler temperatures just as bad.

Full clean and replace Friday and smell returns today..Sunday.

No sign of urinary infection. Both wee and poo normally ( on my lap quite often 😂 )

I suspect the non Spayed ?.

Any ideas ?.

Yes, it is urine.

Nothing more unpleasant. I had a very sick pig that smelt awful before she passed away . No diarrhoea.

I wondered what disinfectant others used ?

I use kitchen antibacterial and a small bit of Flash on weekly clean . Bit nervous about harsh chemicals. I know boars can be a bit strong but these are just 2 sows.

Getting a bit unpleasant after 2 days of blitz clean and spot cleaning. Also just got a new corroplast liner only a month ago. When the non-splayed wees on my lap doesn’t smell much at all.

Definitely getting worse . Only 2 years old .

Interested in any similar stories…

I have boars but is it possible that the smell is because they've sprayed the walls/carpet?

I would not use the cleaning products that you are using in their cage. They aren’t really the sort of suitable product to be used

F10 is a vet grade disinfectant and is a recommended cleaner. It can be diluted to varying strengths as needed for the task in question. I use it at its weakest in the weekly general clean and slightly stronger for a deep clean every six weeks or so.
But there are other pet safe disinfectants available such as Johnson’s which is available from pet shops.
White Vinegar and water is also ok to use a general cleaner. It is a mild disinfectant (but won’t kill germs to the effect that f10 does).

What about the other sow? Is her urine smelling.
If your vet can rule out any illness, then it’s a case is looking to environmental. It could be that the bedding is causing an issue, the cleaning method or timing, aeration of the room?

Sows do scent mark though but it isn’t usually as strong as boars.
Do they themselves smell?
Is their hair long around their bottoms/back legs etc?

Well, we got two sows and a boar and they don't smell and they are not spayed
You will have to explain in more details

Ok. I will try F10.

They are very clean themselves with short hair . They both get the occasional bum bath with small animal shampoo. Bedding is Aibiose which I know some rescues use.

I would suspect a urinary infection but I know that neither urine smell.

I was hoping for some guidance on age or even bedding…

I think the problem is the cleaning product needs to be varied . I spot clean daily even to the extent of removing all hay and big chunks of bedding. 12 months ago there was no smell.

Otherwise will consult Vet .

What do you mean by guidance on age?

Aubiose is absolutely fine to use. You can use whatever bedding works best for you. It’s perhaps worth trying a different bedding if needs be though.

Generally speaking it’s wet hay which makes a cage smell so on disposable bedding with wet hay and bedding removed daily, it’s not obvious as to why it smells so bad. On fleece there can be reasons but on disposable it’s a bit more of a mystery.

Actually.

Quite convinced they start off week with a spotless cage. Then smell next day recently..

Does anyone have a preference for megasorb or Aubiose ? Megazorb is quite difficult to get recently. Or is there an alternative? I was told not to use wood shavings by the Vet.

Nothing wrong with using wood shavings.

I have used megazorb, aubiose and snowflake softchip. They are all very good. I am using snowflake softchip now though as it is considerably cheaper.

It definitely should not smell after one day if you are doing daily cleans. Something is going wrong.

On age.

I wondered if an increased smell is normal with aging . Both checked by a GP expert vet 6 monthly .

To be honest I just wanted some suggestions from smell free owners who spot clean as much as I do ? I will try F10 but I don’t like spraying as I don’t usually take them out for spot cleaning. They like running around and getting in the way !

I’ll try the Vet then and report back . Didn’t want to rush up the vet if they are healthy but smell a bit more.

I was told wood shavings have harmful resins .

Appreciate the help.

No an increased smell is not normal with age. At 2 years old they aren’t old though.

I clean exactly as you do.
I spot clean twice a day. Full clean every 5-7 days. Bedded on snowflake softchip and hay.
I have three boars (two cages) so lots of scent marking. I have absolutely no urine or bad smells in either cage. I didn’t have any smells using any other type of bedding either.

F10 is entirely pet safe. I don’t take mine out for cleaning either. I only take them out for deep cleans.

Back