• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Small poops...

devoted piggy carer

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,
One of our piggies, Maisy, is around two and has just recovered from a UTI. The vet said to give her a coarse of antibiotics and we finished it about a week ago. We also gave her some probiotic in her veggies for a week as well, and carried on giving it for a bit longer along with the occasional bit of crucial care. symptoms were blood with her wee and squealing when she pooed/weed. All those have stopped now the meds seemed to have worked and she is still herself and doesn't seem to be in pain anymore. But the other day I noticed that her poos were smaller than normal but still looked fine - not too dry, not overly tiny, not like a string of tiny sausages or anything like that. Is this anything bad? Would appreciate any advice you might give us.

I’m glad she is feeling better.

It might just be that she was feeling a bit off after being on antibiotics and perhaps hadn’t quite eaten enough hay.
Did you switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh her daily when she became unwell? The weight checks are the only way to gauge independent hay intake and whether she was being given enough critical care.

If her weight is stable and she is no longer in any pain (small poops can also point to them being in pain toileting) then it is likely the poops will go back to normal in the next few days. Monitor her and see what happens. If poops get thinner or her weight goes down, then step back in with syringe feeding and return to the vet.

This is our guide which will help with information on what poops can suggest.

I do hope everything goes well
Hello,
One of our piggies, Maisy, is around two and has just recovered from a UTI. The vet said to give her a coarse of antibiotics and we finished it about a week ago. We also gave her some probiotic in her veggies for a week as well, and carried on giving it for a bit longer along with the occasional bit of crucial care. symptoms were blood with her wee and squealing when she pooed/weed. All those have stopped now the meds seemed to have worked and she is still herself and doesn't seem to be in pain anymore. But the other day I noticed that her poos were smaller than normal but still looked fine - not too dry, not overly tiny, not like a string of tiny sausages or anything like that. Is this anything bad? Would appreciate any advice you might give us.
I hope everything sorts its self out.

Back