• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Small poops

JasmineA99

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have 4.5 year old boar named King Charles (Charlie) and he has been having very small poops over the last couple days. About 2 days ago we noticed his sluggishness and disinterest in his veggies. He had been eating pellets, hay, and drinking water as normal. He’s just not interested in his veggies. We noticed the small poop and realized he may be constipated. He has been prone to diarrhea in the past when he is given watery veggies so we try to limit them. But we gave him some lettuce last night and he acted like he was starving, eating the all of it. I don’t know if he is just eating less food because he’s tired of the same veggies every day or what.

His previous cage mate passed 2 years ago from a GI issue that caused severe dehydration. I am worried about him becoming dehydrated… his poops are small but they are wet. I’m going to call the vet tomorrow, but any suggestions?

Note: I’m trying to attach the photos but for some reason they won’t attach.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry King Charles is possibly unwell.

Once you registration is complete you will be able to attach photos by the paper clip Attach files button.

Welcome to the forum

As a new member you will not be able to immediately add pictures. Once your registration completes then the option will become available to you.

Guinea pigs do not get constipated, so that isn’t the problem here.
Small poops generally indicate reduced hay intake. As poop output is 1-2 days behind food intake by the time you see the small poops it means they already haven’t eaten enough for past up to two days.
Hay is their main food intake but you cannot judge intake by eye - you may see him eating it but it doesn’t mean it is enough.
Please switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him daily each morning while you have concerns about him. This will mean you can know what hay he is eating in real time. If he has lost 50g or more in weight then he isn’t eating enough hay and you will need to step in with syringe feeding to replace the lost hay intake. Please do then see a vet.
If weight loss is 100g occurs in the space of 24-48 hours then it is an emergency and vet care needs to be sought immediately.

I hope he is ok

Back