• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Small crust on eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Peter went to check on the girls and noticed Flora has a small crust below her eye. Looks like it has came from the eye and I was thinking perhaps it is the milky liquid that pigs use to clean themselves that comes from the eye that has dried on her fur she is jet black only for a few ginger strands and a brown foot.

She is alert, lively, eating, squeaking, running, happy the same usual lovely Flora but do you think I should whizz her up to the vets? I'm inclined to because of what happened with Cuzzy, or perhaps I'm just panicking myself. Peter thinks she is ok, and as she is being her usual self but I don't want anything happening to her too!

Any advice?

Louise
x

Hi louise, when my lot got conjunctivitis, it was a swollen eye they got 1st, then the crust. I'd keep an eye on it (excuse the pun lol) and if it starts to appear red or she's itching it or it keeps crusting id go to the vets :) x

Bathe in cooled boiled water with a tiny bit of salt O0 O0
Wipe with a makeup remover pad as it doesn't leave behind any strands of fluff and wipe away from the eye :) :)
and then off course...... a treat :smitten:
Good luck, if it continues for more than a couple of days i'd get it checked out O0

Thanks Emma, her nose isn't damp and her breathing is fine and she is doing the Cavy Olympic Igloo Jumping Event a lot. I'll keep an eye on her (no pun intended...lol) and see how she goes.

Glynis, will do that thanks, I'm inclined to think because she is black its just bits of hay below the eye, its not in the eye but underneath. :)

Right where's me bed! :D See you tomorrow!

Louise
x

Louise i also find that it's below the eye line with Duke... just so you know :)
How's the munchkin Flora today? :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

This could be a blocked tear duct if the substance is gritty.Glynis is right about bathing with saline solution or you could use Optrex or Brolene eye drops.Put the drops in the inner corner of the eye and gently massage under the eyelid towards the outer corner.

Thanks Mary,

I will get some to be on the safe side. It is just in the corner. She is eating and have just weighed her she has put on 32g, will weigh her daily just to be safe too. I'm being ober cautious but it isn't a bad thing.

Louise
x

Louise is Flora the one with more red or more black? I'm going to have to get used to this ;D hope she's ok :)

Hi Emma,

Flora is the black one Fleur is the one like a Bumble Bee with ginger and black stripes you wouldn't think they were sisters! ;D She is eating right now so I expect she is ok, will monitor her closely though. :)

Louise
x

Ok i will have to find a way of rembering that ;D your girls will come home answering to eachothers names ;D x

ROFL I'm just as bad, Flora gets called Fleura and Fleur gets called Flour. Petet thinks I am loosing it! 98)

Thanks Lindsay, Flora is absolutely fine, I have wiped her eyes, so funny she did not like that! :D She is now playing Football with a willow ball and having a drink.

I guess I'm just a bit edgy around them at the mo and worry about every little thing. Will still keep a close eye on her but she is looking ok up to now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back