Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Racheylcg

IS this big enough for my two sows?
L1.25mxW0.5m?
Its just when I look at it it looks quite small

Hi Rachey,

Any idea what this is in inches? I can only work in feet and inches.

Louise
:)

Isn't the minimum 48 inches by 24 inches which is 4ft by 2 for one pig? So you add 2-4 square foot for additional pigs. I could be way off. I just getting this from my piggy shaped brain! Too much info!

Louise

So it is too small. :(
Problem is, I cant get a bigger one. I'll just try to increase the amount of time they spend in their run.
I cant believe this, I thought I looked after them really welll......

I'm sure 4ft x 2ft is the minumum for 2 pigs so the width is a few inches under but i't might not matter to much. I'm sure someone with better info will be able to help you :)

The width of the Lavander Lodge which I have 2 of is a bit short of the 2 foot so I wouldn't worry too much, as long as their is plenty of space for them to run around. :)

Louise

Problem is my two are lazy old lumps :), even in their pen they sit and sleep, the only time they popcorn and run is outdoors :)

I have been told that 4ft is the minimum for 2 piggies. However I have been reading in some books (Gunieapiglopedia and others) that piggies are not bothered about too much room as they can't see too well anyway and vast amounts of space are intimidating to them! (Not sure how true that is though!)

I think you need to do what is best for you and if you are getting them out lots and they are being cared for well in other ways then surely thats not such a terrible life for 2 piggies.

Totally agree with that Nancy. Cuzzy is being housed in a Nero 3 at the mo because of his mites but you should see him whizzing about and popcorning. I think because he has the company of us and gets well fed and watered and lots of cuddles then he is happy. Thats the main thing. It must be right about the eye sight because Cuzzy will popcorn into the side of the cage and even Twinkle nearly knocked himself out when he popcorned into his pigloo! He's fine though no lasting damage only that he is mad!

SunshineAndTwinkle said:
Totally agree with that Nancy. Cuzzy is being housed in a Nero 3 at the mo because of his mites but you should see him whizzing about and popcorning. I think because he has the company of us and gets well fed and watered and lots of cuddles then he is happy. Thats the main thing. It must be right about the eye sight because Cuzzy will popcorn into the side of the cage and even Twinkle nearly knocked himself out when he popcorned into his pigloo! He's fine though no lasting damage only that he is mad!

My Biscotti binkied(the rabbit equivelent of popcorning) into a sofa once. He just sat there blinking for about a minute and then he got up again and started binkying :)

LOL so it would seem that rabbits are as mad as guineas! I've no experience with buns, my grandad used to have one called Harvey, he was an albino white. Someone nicked him from the garden, thankfully we got him back! It was years ago though! :) My Nan had a cat called Sooty and she kept jumping out the window of a fist floor flat! She was always ok but it make me think are all animals crazy?

I think all animals are crazy. I had a bunny called Fizz and he would run around madly whenever we got him out (every day) and suddenly do a huge jump kicking his legs up in the middle of the room! So funny to see :D

that sounds as if it fits the bill for 2 piggies..that's roughly the size of cage I have for my two..just shy of the recommended space but my piggies are happy in their cage.

the minimum size for 2 piggies are the cages that are 120cm by 60cm. However seeing as thats the measurement of the outside of the base, not the inside (actual running space), the normal cages are always a bit short of 120 anyway. So I wouldnt worry too much.

Hi

I read in Peter Gurney's book "Guinea Pig" on page 40 under the heading "Size of Pen"

"The golden rule is the bigger the better. The smnallest that I use for my boarders is 70 x 45 cm/28 x 18 in and 45cm/18 in high for housing two guinea pigs. If the smallest size is used, it is kinder to keep the animals in the room in which you spend the most time and to let them out for a run around each evening.".

The above is an extract from his book. I have also got the guinealopedia book and that says more or less the same thing. I haven't actually got my guinea's yet and am still deciding what kind of cage to get and also what size because after reading these books and then going on this forum I don't know what to do for the best, as you I have limited space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back