Slugs attacking Guinea Pig Cage

• Thread starter Thread starter GP102
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GP102

I often find in the mornings that slugs have entered my guinea pig's cage and left slime in the food bowl. A while ago I replaced the wire on the front of the cage because mice had been squeezing through it and getting in. I now use wire with the smallest available holes, but slugs still manage to get through it. I have seen them doing it. I also have a dog who sniffs around the cages, so I need a pet friendly way to repel the slugs. Any ideas? Thanks.

Beer. Seriously. Put a small dish of beer outside the pigs' cage. Slugs love the smell of it, dive right in, get drunk (hic!) and drown. Where do you keep your cage? It sounds unusual for slugs to get in unless they are in a cold, damp area.

we usualy put a thick line of salt around the cages in the shed and one at the shed door
they hate salt ;D

dogs really love salt too though, thats why they lick our hands..

so her dog would eat the salt aswell as he would drink the beer, I suppose? :(

When the piggies were kept outside in the summer, we had a problem with this. So we bought some netting from a DIY shop (think it is the sort you use on ponds) with tiny mesh that the slugs can't get through. We stuck it onto the hutch at night with gaffer tape and the slugs didn't get in.

yeah we have netng over the opening where the shed door is,nothing gets in or out,i got it from arco where i work last year,it keeps flies out and everything

Ahhh, what a lot I've learnt from you - this will be our first Summer with guinea pigs and I was wondering what to do about flies and other pests. we get a lot of flies in our rural area, along with the mice too.

Is the cage on the ground, outside? If so maybe you could build a stand for it of some sort...I would also think that if the cage is outside on the ground it would be to cold for the piggie.

oh i use to have this problem in the summer with my rabbits as there had a 2 teier cage where you could put a run on it aswell so there could go on the gress or on the hay at the bottom or go upstars

i use to hate rovming all the slugs and sanls for the cages all tho the rabbits seem to like them but wont be having that problema again as i dont have rabbits now and my guuina pigs cages wont be going on the gress jsut the runs during the day

The cage is on top of another cage, but the slugs don't invade the bottom one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back