• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sleeping more/rumbling less

Ramia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm a little worried about Stripe. When he was walking the other day I thought I heard him whimper. Not sure if he was just talking.

He's been sleeping more, but he's turning six months this week. But he's been rumbling less at Chez, he usually rumbles a lot.

His weight is good, still showing an interest in hay and veg, he comes every time I bring veg. I saw him drinking.

I tested his walking by pretending I was going to pick him up and he ran away, I didn't see any limping and when he ran I didn't hear any whimper.

He has done a little rumbling but not as much.

His poop looks normal.

Should I be concerned? I called his vet they said it doesn't sound like an emergency.

I'm a little worried about Stripe. When he was walking the other day I thought I heard him whimper. Not sure if he was just talking.

He's been sleeping more, but he's turning six months this week. But he's been rumbling less at Chez, he usually rumbles a lot.

His weight is good, still showing an interest in hay and veg, he comes every time I bring veg. I saw him drinking.

I tested his walking by pretending I was going to pick him up and he ran away, I didn't see any limping and when he ran I didn't hear any whimper.

He has done a little rumbling but not as much.

His poop looks normal.

Should I be concerned? I called his vet they said it doesn't sound like an emergency.

Now, it doesn't like an emergency at all and there is likely nothing wrong with him. Keep checking his weight. He is starting to turn from a hyperactive baby into a full boar now so he is starting to calm down a bit more and become less loud and vocal from now on.

If he was in pain would he still be eating so much?

When I came in their room he was at the hay pile and then came for his cucumber, no whimper but kinda slow. Then after his cucumber he went for a nap and as he was walking he wheeked but I can't tell if it is just normal wheeking.

If he was in pain would he still be eating so much?

When I came in their room he was at the hay pile and then came for his cucumber, no whimper but kinda slow. Then after his cucumber he went for a nap and as he was walking he wheeked but I can't tell if it is just normal wheeking.

Switch from weighing once weekly to weighing first thing in the morning in order to monitor his hay intake, which you cannot control by eye but it is generally the food group that suffers first.

Also give him a body onceover.

What you need is some facts because without access to your piggy we cannot give you the answers you crave.

I just checked his body, he has no sign of bumblefoot and his penis and bum look good.

He did not like the body check and Chez got alarmed by his squeaking but I'm about to go give treats to make peace.

I hope all is well with Stripe. It's so sweet how piggies stand together when one is scared ❤️

Stripe's weight is good, he's eating lettuce and hay this morning. His submissive buddy humped him during spot cleaning and he rumbled. I'll just keep an eye on his gait and listen for whimpering. Haven't seen him popcorn in a couple days but he does it less than Chez.

Noticed when he runs he runs normal but I just saw him walk and he kinda hopped with both legs in the air at the same time

Should I get him into a vet today?

Noticed when he runs he runs normal but I just saw him walk and he kinda hopped with both legs in the air at the same time

Should I get him into a vet today?

Hi

No, it is not an an emergency.

It is highly likely that your vet won't find anything wrong wiht your boy at all and will quite simply fall back onto the age old default when there is no clue by prescribing vitamin C in case it is scurvy - which is frankly very unlikely in good care.

Scurvy hopping is when a piggy struggles to walk normally on their back legs and never just the occasional hop.
Healthy piggies bunny hop occasionally. What you are seeing may be mildest of sprains somewhere on a front leg from the shoulder down to the foot. They are pretty common in active piggies and usually correct themselves within a week or two. ;)

Please take care of yourself and do some Mindfulness. The more you zoom in on something that is playing on your anxiety, the more you will find because your mind is not looking for the big picture and a healthy perspective but only for the tiniest sign of what could be wrong.

Last edited:
As someone who has a young satin I have to stop myself constantly watching to see if he's showing any signs of satin syndrome. It's getting easier as he gets older but I understand the worry that you are missing something.
From previous posts, it very clear that you are keeping your boys very well and are attentive. If an issue arises that does need treatment I have no doubt you will know. Please just try to enjoy your boys. ❤️

As someone who has a young satin I have to stop myself constantly watching to see if he's showing any signs of satin syndrome. It's getting easier as he gets older but I understand the worry that you are missing something.
From previous posts, it very clear that you are keeping your boys very well and are attentive. If an issue arises that does need treatment I have no doubt you will know. Please just try to enjoy your boys. ❤️

Satin syndrome typically shows up by or before 18 months. After that age, piggies will live a normal life. ;)

Yes, he walked normal to the hay pile just now so I am relieved. It just seems like he has changed overnight with his six months birthday this week to being a lot calmer so I was worried. The body check I gave him also relieved me that he doesn't have bumblefoot.

I talked to Stripe's vet today and she is a little worried about his mobility issues.

Today he would hesitate to come for veggies, then he would take two steps after eating and just lie down. Same with hay eating, he would eat, take a couple steps and lie down. He normally sways his hips when rumbling, but he wasn't swaying his hips. And he walks very slowly.

He has a vet appointment Monday morning. She said she has seen a guinea pig with heart issues, so she's going to check his heart and possibly take some X-rays. Chesney is going with him and they are both having a nail trim.

Back