• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sleeping more? Is it an issue?

anyar.dris

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Well recently, I noticed that Whitney tends to sleep more. It started around a couple of weeks ago (or more) when we usually have Bryce taken to the vets frequently. We leave her in the house alone whenever we take Bryce to the vets because she gets so anxious in the car that just makes her stressed and Bryce at the same time, so we leave her to avoid all that. But it's more recently this past week that she sleeps a lot. Hubby doesn't think it's unusual but I do. She has no issue with weight, but she is around 1400g so she is fat. Bryce is even more active than her and would try to chase her and rumble strut. Byce would run and would stop and wonder why she isn't following him, so he will go back to where she is and try and get in her box or wherever she is. Whenever I put their food bowls in the morning or at tea time, she used to come running straight into them. But now she isn't very excited with them. Mind you she would eat when she wakes up, hence her not losing weight.

I don't know if it's just a sign of her turning into an adult piggy (she's around 2 yo now) or it's because she got used to her being alone at times and not really bothered with playing and with Bryce. She often chatters whenever Bryce go near her and gets annoyed when Bryce would sniff her mouth/face especially when she's eating.

Well recently, I noticed that Whitney tends to sleep more. It started around a couple of weeks ago (or more) when we usually have Bryce taken to the vets frequently. We leave her in the house alone whenever we take Bryce to the vets because she gets so anxious in the car that just makes her stressed and Bryce at the same time, so we leave her to avoid all that. But it's more recently this past week that she sleeps a lot. Hubby doesn't think it's unusual but I do. She has no issue with weight, but she is around 1400g so she is fat. Bryce is even more active than her and would try to chase her and rumble strut. Byce would run and would stop and wonder why she isn't following him, so he will go back to where she is and try and get in her box or wherever she is. Whenever I put their food bowls in the morning or at tea time, she used to come running straight into them. But now she isn't very excited with them. Mind you she would eat when she wakes up, hence her not losing weight.

I don't know if it's just a sign of her turning into an adult piggy (she's around 2 yo now) or it's because she got used to her being alone at times and not really bothered with playing and with Bryce. She often chatters whenever Bryce go near her and gets annoyed when Bryce would sniff her mouth/face especially when she's eating.

Hi

The overweight is not going to help with an active life; some piggies are naturally coach potatoes while others need to be on the go more. Adults tend to be more sedentary.

However, if you have concerns about her heart, please see a vet.

Her reaction to Bryce is normal for a greedy piggy. She is simply telling him that she is not interested in having food snatched from her mouth or checked as to what she has been eating that he may not have got hold of... ;)

Thanks Wiebke. I weighed her this morning and she's around 1379g. I will monitor her for the time being. I don't think she is showing any discomfort and hubby really thinks she is just fat. She does eat a selection of food and of course hay. I think it didn't help that Bryce is having issues recently, but these past few days that Bryce has been very active, she thinks he's a nuisance whenever he gets near her and sniffs what's in her mouth. I will give her more cuddles in case she's feeling left out (or do they feel left out at all?) but sometimes it's really tricky because she hates being picked up.

Thanks Wiebke. I weighed her this morning and she's around 1379g. I will monitor her for the time being. I don't think she is showing any discomfort and hubby really thinks she is just fat. She does eat a selection of food and of course hay. I think it didn't help that Bryce is having issues recently, but these past few days that Bryce has been very active, she thinks he's a nuisance whenever he gets near her and sniffs what's in her mouth. I will give her more cuddles in case she's feeling left out (or do they feel left out at all?) but sometimes it's really tricky because she hates being picked up.

Instead of cuddles, try using feeding time to get her moving around more and feed her and Bryce separately. I don't think that there is a problem with her; it is more that Bryce is very active (good sign!) and you are contrasting the two.

Our Weight guide has a chapter with practical tips on how to get overweight piggies moving and working for their dinner: Weight - Monitoring and Management

Instead of cuddles, try using feeding time to get her moving around more and feed her and Bryce separately. I don't think that there is a problem with her; it is more that Bryce is very active (good sign!) and you are contrasting the two.

Our Weight guide has a chapter with practical tips on how to get overweight piggies moving and working for their dinner: Weight - Monitoring and Management
Thank you and I will read up on this.

I will make an appointment to our local vets tomorrow for Whitney. Her weight at the moment is ranging from 1368-1390g. I'm not really sure what's wrong with her and I'm getting worried. She has been big/fat for a long time, even before Bryce started having issues since March. But she has always been very active and running around. It only started around 3 weeks ago that she splats whenever she's eating and prefers to just sit around and sleep a lot, like she's always tired. I'm not sure if she has ovarian cyst because there are no visible signs/symptoms of her having it. Although when we had Sierra, we didn't know she had ovarian cysts too until we took her to the vet for bladder issues. Sierra was also a big piggy. The only good thing at the moment is Whitney is still eating.

Just been to the vets and she can feel what seems to be ovarian cysts in Whitney, not very big but it's there. She said they will need to have to verify it via ultrasound, so Whitney is booked for that tomorrow afternoon. Then we'll go from there.

Just got back from the vets. Whitney had an ultrasound and she does have ovarian cysts. They're not very big but they can see that it got lots of fluid around it. So we booked her to be spayed on Friday.

The only worry I have is they haven't done much spaying in guinea pigs but have done a lot of spaying rabbits. We had our past piggy Ella got spayed in that vets but she passed away and didn't wake up after the op because they found out while spaying that she had a massive tumour around the bladder that they couldn't removed fully as it was attached to different organs. Hubby trusts them though and he doesn't want to wait longer because he doesn't want to risk Whitney becoming ill and stop eating while waiting for an appoinment. Ellie Whitehead and Simon and Kim are all on holidays and won't be available until next week. Bryce has an appointment in C&R on 4th Sept.

We had to cancel Whitney's op in our local vets and just booked her in C&R for Tuesday. She has been moving better since yesterday. The Loxicom must have been helping. Anyway, her appointment is at 9:10am though, so we would have to leave at 3am. :help::zzz:. We changed Bryce's appointment to Tuesday too instead of Wednesday. It will be a very long and chaotic day. 😔🤷‍♀️

Back