Skinny Pigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello everyone,
After having a general chat with my local rescue last night they said they have 3 skinny pigs now.
I've never been overly fussed about skinnies but I can't help but feel if I see them I'm going to want them, so I'm just after so,e information about them please and caring for them and I,Maurer ive seen on here before it's different to guinea pig care.
Thank you

You will want them when you see them, they are hard to resist. What sex are they?

The most important thing is temperature control, they need to be kept warm all the time. They also eat more (and poo more) than hairy pigs to regulate their temperature. Mine are bedded on fleece and vetbed but spend the majority of their time in their cozies. They can also have very strong personalities, Katie is the biggest diva pig we have ever had and keeps us on her toes. For skin care we use Humilac spray no more than once a week, which we get from Vet uk. It helps keep their skin from getting dry without blocking pores.

Last edited:
How do you keep your skinnys warm without having to keep the central heating on 24/7 all year round - I bought a snugglesafe heatpad last year - but even with a cover on it was rock hard and must be like sleeping on concrete - do / can you use a UV light above them like you might use in a reptile tank or something similar - have been worried about keeping the hairy pigs warm without bankrupting me - and they live in the lounge.

I wouldn't use a UV light no. I keep the heating on throughout the winter but haven't through the summer, they are ok with their cozies.

Yeah mine is fine with fleeces cosies, I'm thinking about putting my snuggle safe heat pad in soon, even if they just sleep near it it will be warmer than without. I haven't put and heating on yet either and he's fine, you can tell as they shiver if cold also mine is happy sleeping in the plastic igloo sometimes, when he starts staying in his cosies more I'll know it's time for the heat! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back