Skinny pig scratches

Kareoke

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two skinny pigs. My pink one has been getting long scratches on his bottom. Are they self inflicted or they from the other pig. How can I tell.

I don't think there is a way to tell if the scratches are from the other pig or not just by looking at them.
If the other pig is showing signs of aggression then maybe he is the cause or maybe there is something sharp in the cage. I'd check the entrances of hidey holes for sharp pieces.
A saltwater mixture applied the the scratches will hopefully help them heal.
Hope this is helpful. 🙂

:agr:

You will only be able to tell by watching the piggies to check they aren’t fighting.
Also by routine care ie checking their nails are clipped regularly, and the cage is free of sharp items.
Skinnies obviously don’t have hair to protect their skin so they can be more prone to accidental scratches. However if the two piggies aren’t getting along then that is a different issue which needs looking into

There is a lot of chasing by the other one. Especially when I mess with the cage and. During feedings. Other than that sometimes they get along. They are teenagers

There is a lot of chasing by the other one. Especially when I mess with the cage and. During feedings. Other than that sometimes they get along. They are teenagers

It is best not to clean the whole cage in one go - only do half at a time.
If you clean the whole cage you wipe their scents away which can lead to an increase in dominance, if you rearrange the cage you disrupt their territories, again, leads to an increase in dominance.

How are the measurements of their cage? It ideally needs to be 180x60cm as really matters to a boar pair - they need a lot of it. The cage should not be smaller than 150x60cm as that is usually too small for a boar pair.
Do all hides have two exits?
Do you have multiple of everything - two bottles, two hay areas etc?

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Back