• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skinny pig making strange noise while eating

stephjk

New Born Pup
Reaction score
i adopted stacey a few months ago, we unfortunately know nothing about her history, including her age.

i noticed tonight while feeding her lettuce that shes making a very strange noise while eating. it sounds almost like a hiccup from her respiratory tract, or like a zipper being unzipped.

i am very worried because i know how prone they are to URIs. i held her up to my ear and its definitely coming from her nose, but did not hear anything strange from her chest/stomach. could it just be dust in her nose?

her appetite is still good, shes been drinking water and has been acting like she normally does, no other sign to indicate her being sick

(ill try to attach a video, hopefully it works)

i adopted stacey a few months ago, we unfortunately know nothing about her history, including her age.

i noticed tonight while feeding her lettuce that shes making a very strange noise while eating. it sounds almost like a hiccup from her respiratory tract, or like a zipper being unzipped.

i am very worried because i know how prone they are to URIs. i held her up to my ear and its definitely coming from her nose, but did not hear anything strange from her chest/stomach. could it just be dust in her nose?

her appetite is still good, shes been drinking water and has been acting like she normally does, no other sign to indicate her being sick

(ill try to attach a video, hopefully it works)

Hi and welcome

Please see whether the nasal obstruction is disappearing again within a few hours, if necessary with a big old sneeze. Guinea airways are extremely small and they use their mouth for breathing only when in respiratory distress. This means that even the smallest bit of dust or pollen in the nose can lead to rather alarming noises. This is especially pronounced during eating.

Of course you are immediately more worried if your piggy has a history of respiratory infections but these are more typically a crackling and rasping in the throat area. This is as much as I can say, just going by your description.

PS: If you want to upload a video you will have to do so on a public setting on a platform that doesn't require a membership sign in (youtube works best) and then copy across. For a picture upload we recommend using the Attach files button underneath your post when you write it. This forum is not part of social media and is entirely run by voluntary member donations. We do however feel that having full control over ourf friendly and supportive place is worth that drawback.

Back