• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skinny Pig died of GI stasis suddenly and no idea why

lum555

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all. I bought a couple of 1 year old skinny pigs about 3 weeks ago who seemed to be in perfect health. The one in question would be jumping around, wheeking and coming up to his cage constantly for food.

Last week I had him neutered so he could mix in with my sows, as currently he was with another boar. I'd been watching him since and didn't notice any change in his health.

Suddenly yesterday, 6 days after neutering, his body temperature had dropped to about 33-34C and he was shivering. I took him to the vet immediately who did a scan and saw his GI tract wasn't moving but couldn't see a reason why. He wanted to open him up in case of torsion as giving him medicine could kill him, and we reluctantly agreed. No torsion or foreign blockage was found, only a buildup of gas in stomach.

They removed the gas and pumped his stomach, and he seemed to be standing up and walking around after surgery. Unfortunately he died overnight at the vets. They don't have any answers other than that his circulatory system wasn't working, likely because his stomach still wasn't processing food.

I've fed them on a diet of timothy, pellets, green peppers and lettuce, and have no idea why this happened. Would appreciate if anyone had some ideas in case our remaining skinny pig is at risk, thank you.

I am so sorry to hear your piggy died. The circumstances were very sudden, difficult and awful and you must still be in shock from seeing him in pain. I can't offer medical advice, only send support and comforting thoughts for the loss of your pet. It's very sad.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I’m afraid we can’t know what lead to this.
To me it doesn’t sound like it will affect any of your other piggies ie it’s not something contagious.
Bloat/gut issues and stasis can sadly just happen. Even if you spot it immediately and step in with the syringe feeding and immediate vet care, sometimes there is nothing that can be done.

Back