Skinny pig bonding

Popcorn23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

So have rescued a skinny pig with my bonded sow and boar pair. I introduced in a neutral area and lots of hay and veggies.

The skinny seems really happy and just runs around next to them but the bonded pair dont seem too happy they have been together for 1.5 hrs and has been a few nudges and pushed out of hides and for the most part ignoring her presence, it has also put tension on the bond already formed as there was some teeth and nudging which has subsided .

Currently they are now all in separate hides and fast asleep .

Is this a bad sign as am more stressed due to the fact skinnys skin is more sensitive to bites etc do i carry on as has been no teeth chattering or more aggressive behaviours as of yet?

Thanks,
Xx

Please do not use hides during bonding.
All that should be in the bonding pen is a pile of hay and some water.
If you add hides during the bonding then that creates territories and can cause tensions.

I would remove the hides and see how they go, whether they interact positively.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sorry i should have said i had moved them into their enclosure as i had No issues in the bonding pen
Should i still remove hides in their cage?
I did have a divider down the middle before bonding pen had no problems then moved to cage and have been there for the 1.5hrs i was mentioning

So they lived side by side initially.
You then moved them to a neutral territory bonding pen.
You then moved them to the cage and then added hides.
That’s all fine

If they are not actually fighting then you need to leave them to it. It takes two weeks for the bond to be fully formed

Back