• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skin

• Thread starter Thread starter BubbleSqueak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BubbleSqueak

I went to Bubble and Squeak last night and brought them out on to their towel, and while stroking them, i could feel bumps on both of their backs. After looking under their furs, i saw many little scabs and what looks like dandruff. I then put them away and watched them for a bit and they were itching this area. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Is a trip to the vets in order?

Yes I would take them, it sounds like mites. You will also need to treat the hutch/cage too, someone will be along better able to help you with this but I think the vet should give you some stuff to do it.

Ohh dear.. i was dreading being told that.

Is it possible to see mites as i do inspect them regularly and have not noticed these before? Also, where do they catch mites from? and can humans catch them?

When you tug lightly at the hair does it come away with a lump of skin at the end? That would be Fungal. If the hair is thinning/broken then mites. I would treat for Fungal and Parasitic (they often have both) which means a visit to the vet for Ivermectin. Contact [email protected] for skin problem advice and how to treat it. Chrissie is very prompt with her email returns and on shipping her products.

Edit: No you can't see mites only the 'poo' they leave behind ::) Mites are usually species specific so you won't catch them.

The fur doesnt come away when pulled. but i am fnding fur with bits of skin at the end. How could they have caught this? I have had them a good 4 months and they havent had any scabs?

Guineas have usually got a few mites on board and they don't affect them, seems like they have just suddenly 'kicked in', there's probably a reason for it somewhere- stress and illness are common but just treat the mites and try not to worry too much :)

Thanks for your help.

Ive just booked them an appointment for tomorow. I tend to worry a lot about ailments and illness as i have lost others very quickly in the past due to strokes etc.

This injection you spoke of? Does that just solve the problem or will they need to go back and have baths etc? Also, obviously i will need to treat the cage too. Honestly, is this a serious problem and is it likely to be difficult to get rid of?

Sorry if it seems like I'm panicking.. I just really worry about my little piggies getting poorly.

i think it sounds like mites! oh dear hope the little babies will be ok. sending love, hugs and kisses to Bubble and Squeak. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: p.s don't worry about worrying it's a good sign, not a bad one, i'm just the same! :smitten:

Thanks for your reply cavy love.

I too hope that they'll be okay. :(

Dont worry, they will be fine once they get their injections. You have caught it early before they have broken the skin by the sounds of it. Karen always gives super advice, so follow what she says. You will have to completely clear their cage/hutch, use a disinfectant suitable for small animals and put all fresh bedding down afterwards. Your vet will give you more advice about this.
The gorgeous guineas shampoos and melts are wonderful too O0

They'll be fine Bubblesqueak - Tiger had mites and after a couple of jabs he was completely cured (even though he did let you the most ear-piercing squeal at the vets when he had his jab poor little darling!).

:) You must bath them as well. It doesn't have to be via injection, I only have the most seriously infested of my rescues injected because it works quicker. Otherwise they have it orally on day one and day 10 with a bath 24-48 hours later (whatever the recommended time for the shampoo). I always use Gorgeous Guineas shampoo and Melts. You will need to do the baths, Chrissie sends instructions with the products :)

Left untreated it can be serious but its quite straightforward to treat really :) Do give everything a thorough clean but being parasites they need a host (they are blood suckers).

For what its worth try not to become too worried about it :) Let us know how you get on with them :)

Thanks for everyones replies.

They have an appointment at 2'oclock today, where hopefully they'll get given this jab. Is it likely i can buy the shampoo from the vets? as obviously i dont have time to buy and receive from the website now. This may sound like a strange question, but do i need to bath them straight away after being at the vets today? Also, i use a small animal friendly cage disinfectant, will this be adequate to thoroughly clean everything? and does this need to be done today aswell?

The vet said she was almost certain that it was mites but said that they dont use the injection anymore, so she put some 'Spot on' on them both and advised me not to bathe them.. :-\ She said they need to go back in 2 weeks for another dose and then depending on how much progress there is, maybe another one. She said to scrub out the house and everything which i have done.

Does this seem like good advice to everyone

They were such good little boys, didnt wriggle about or anything

ahhhhh. what brave little boys. i'm sorry i don't know much about mites, but surely the vets advice is good to follow? don't know. sorry :-\

One of my pigs has this too... he has a small open wound on his shoulder and his hair on one of his rosettes is thinning too... he is constantly itching! everywhere I thouch him!
I'm going to the vets tomorow... but not for him... but I am going to ask about it...

I got a spray from a petstore but it didnt really help...

good luck!

:) I don't think its what I would have wanted... Mine are given Ivomec orally on day 1 and day 10 and bathed within 48 hours- this must be done! It doesn't have to be injection, mine have it orally.
Contact Chrissie [email protected] for good advice on skincare and be prepared to either tell your vet what you want or go elsewhere :) The fact that you have been told a bath is unnecessary is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back