• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skin problem getting worse or better?

• Thread starter Thread starter jyrenze
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jyrenze

My guinea pigs seemed to have some slight fungus problem on the ear, the skin was a bit flaky and bumpy, so I applied some fungal cream. 3 days later the skin is peeling even more and looks worse, is that normal (skin changing process) or should I stop using the cream? I know for human skin problems ometimes the creams will cause the skin to peel for 2 or 3 days then it all gets better but I'm not sure if thats the case for GPs.

I will probably get some of her products eventually, but it will take time because I have no credit card or a bank account in UK, and pay pal requires a credit card to transfer money into it. Our loca banks are not supported by pay pal, only some of the credit cards. :) In the meantime hope someone that has used fungal cream on their piggies before can tell me if the skin peeling is a normal reaction.

I've never seen a fungal pig start to peel after, only if the problem is getting worse. I'm sure you can get some sort of anti-fungal shampoo over there? Something like Nizoral or Malaseb for humans? These are available internationally.

I will happily post you a bit of my coconeem melt if you like? Let me know by PM :)

I have not really come accross Nizoral or Malaseb but there is Selsun, and I used it before once on my piggy, but only once so not sure if it helps. lavenderjade , i have pm'ed you :)

Nizoral and Caneston are the same chemical-- ketocanazole. Caneston is quite good,I have used it on my pigs,but have not had the peeling you describe.I would be inclined to use olive oil to see if that helps the dry skin.

Tea tree oil and lavender oil are antifungal as well.If you can get these may be worth a try.

How much Canesten did you use on your pigs and how often did you apply it? I'm now wondering if perhaps i used too much on the ears, it was kind of hard to apply because my piggies were squirming a lot and i mgiht have dabbed on a little too much.

Twice a day,sparingly.I only used it for 4 days and the problem was cleared.

I think I know why the skin is peeling! I noticed the pigs have been scratching behind the ears after applying the cream. It probably irritates them or something. They have yet to have a nail trimming because I'm still not too confident with the cutting nail issue yet. I think I'll have to try to file or snip those nails.

Maybe they are allergic to something in the cream.Best stop using it.You need to get the skin moisterized.As already mentioned olive oil would be good or lavender oil.

If the piggies nails are white,just cut above the red line.Black nails are more difficult,so just take a tiny bit at a time.You may be able to blunt them a bit with an emery board.

Once the skin is moister,the scratching should ease off anyway.Dry skin is very irritating.

yes I think I better stop with the cream. Will use some olive oil on the ears. I'm off to try cutting their nails.....

I went to the vet again, he prescribed Imaverol, and it did help with the fungal condition, although it took a week to see slight improvement. I must say the coconeem melt was more effective than the Imaverol though, just one day of using and the ear looks so much better. Thanks again lavenderjade!

Thats really interesting to hear about GG products being used against Imaverol. Glad guinea is getting better :)

Both my pigs were on Imaverol, for Piko, her ear got better after 7 days of Imaverol, for Eevee, it was hard to tell whether it was getting better or not.

Thats because Eevee scratched her ears a whole lot when she was on Imaverol, I think its probably irritating to the skin. Perhaps thats why it took very long to see any effects. With coconeem, the first time I tried it on her, i applied to her whole body and washed off, so she did not scratch, and the next day the skin was a whole lot better. Last night I applied a little more on her ears and did not wash off, will check the ear condition again tonight.

The only downside of the coconeem is that it makes my piggy look greasy, lol....

It can do this if it isnt washed off properly, I found this the first time I used it. You do have to shampoo and then rinse very well :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back