Skin Mites/parasites On Skinnies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Poe

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I apologise now if this has been covered somewhere but if a Skinny has mites can you treat them the same way as a furry pig? and also what would you treat them with? Thank you :)

My skinnies have had them a few times and been treated with oral Ivermectin and when this wasn't effective, by injection. I would not use spot on but then I would not use that on a hairy pig either but you will find mixed opinions on that. Also when Phoebe first had mites it looked like she had ringworm and it was only when she had a skin scrape that we saw a squished mite under the microscope. I am learning all the time with them, I have a lot of experience with skin issues in hairies but these 2 keep me on my toes. All our pigs are being treated for fungal at the moment and tomorrow the skinnies will have their first Imaverol dip.

That's great thank you. Poe's skin is a little dry in places and he's scratching a bit I creamed him lightly the other day and it cleared it but tonight he's a little dry again. Edgar's skin is perfect but he is not as faired skinned as Poe. I am wondering if the fairer the skin the more dryer it is?

The skin is dry on his back but he's scratching his head a bit.

That's brilliant. Thanks so much I order stuff for our dog from vetuk I will order some of that. As for the vets I never knew they were there! Thank you :) I have them registered at Rhodes exotic vet... but now I will change and take Poe for a check up! Thanks so much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back