• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Skin Issues? Ear Infection? Biting Himself?

ju247

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm new here, and I've been having some concerns with my boy, Teddy. I got him on 7/5/2022, and noticed that he was much smaller than all the other guinea pigs in his enclosure. I watched them all for about two hours, and saw that when he made any attempt to move towards the side of the enclosure that contained the food bowls, the others head-butted him and pushed him back to the other side. Both of his ears were completely bald behind them, and his left ear was very red. I spoke with one of the employees about it, and was advised that it was likely caused by him scratching due to stress, especially since the others seemed to gang up on him.

He had been home for about two weeks, when I noticed that his ear was getting white on the edge, peeling, and developing sores at the base. I also found that his left elbow had an open wound. I cleaned both areas with saline solution and applied antibiotic ointment to each. I called my usual vet the very next morning, and was able to book an appointment by the end of the week- although he doesn't typically see small animals. He felt that the wound on his elbow was probably caused by him scraping it on something, and to continue cleaning it the same way, as it looked to be healing up. He trimmed Teddy's back toenails, and also advised that I apply some coconut oil to the tops of his ears to clear up the dry skin. I had asked him a few other questions regarding bedding / diet allergy concerns, and the doctor said he wasn't sure, and suggested I google it.

We're now on week 4 of Teddy being home, and he is still scratching at his ear. I'm also seeing him scratch the sides of his face here and there, and areas on his back. For the last couple of days, I've started seeing small white specks in his hair - which could be dandruff or possibly dust from his bedding. I've been using Kaytee Clean and Cozy white paper bedding and he seems to like it, and I don't really notice a lot of dust from it. I'm also worried that this could be guinea pig lice or mites. He has become more sensitive to any kind of touch, and today I found another bald/scabby spot on the edge of his knee / the inside of his right thigh area, and I'm worried he is biting himself. He is still completely bald behind both ears, but the sores on his ears have decreased with since the nail trim. However, the top of the ear is still kind of crusty looking and the inside is now peeling as well.

Teddy has gotten very comfortable with me, and is very sweet and social. I spot clean his habitat twice a day, and change out his bedding and wipe everything down once a week. He's grown quite a bit, and has quite the appetite when it comes to veggies and treats. I try to limit the amount of fruit and sugary treats he gets, and he eats plenty of hay and pellets. Since he's by himself, I make sure to visit with him for about 20 minutes every morning before I leave for work, for about an hour or so when I first get home, and later I let him get some "out of the cage" time so he can play and snuggle for at least an hour. He's loves kisses and snuggles, but today he did not want to be touched. I was able to coax him out to get a look at the spot on his leg, and he bit the fire out of me. He's never bit me before (granted, I've only had him for a month), other than nibbling during treat time, but this drew blood! As I mentioned above, I've noticed him getting more sensitive to touch. I know he probably didn't want to hurt me, he just didn't want to be messed with.

I previously had two female guinea pigs, and never had any types of issues with either of them. I've booked an appointment with a vet that specializes in exotics and small animals, but they can't get me in until next week. I'm hoping to get some kind of idea as to what going on with him, or what I can do to help alleviate the itchiness or pain he's in.

I know that was a SUPER long read, and thank you to anyone who can help !

:wel:

We can only make guesses as we aren’t vets but also without pictures we are going from a written description. However, the first thing to note, guinea pigs do have bald patches behind both ears that is a normal body quirk but of course if we can’t see it so you may be referring to something else.

Potentially ringworm (the white on his ear) and mites or lice (the small white specs) is what I am thinking from your description but we cannot tell you for sure, only a vet can do so.
Mites cannot be seen by the human eye but you can see their egg casings. The egg casings won’t move.
Lice are small white creatures which you can see and you will be able to see them moving if they are lice. Being sensitive to being touched could mean he is in discomfort.

Ringworm is highly contagious and will spread around his body and to humans.

All you can do is have him seen by a knowledgeable vet for diagnosis. Please don’t be tempted to use any pet shop mite/lice products or coconut oil.
Such products aren’t vet grade and won’t effectively cure any problem, can all too easily actually mask the problem and make diagnosing much harder

Below are two guides which may help you

New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights
Ringworm: Hygiene, Care And Pictures

Do you have plans to get another piggy so he can have a friend. Being kept alone isn’t the best thing for him and I’m afraid human interaction isnt enough.

I’m thinking his bald spots behind his ear are normal then, because I haven’t seen any kind of redness or scaliness there. The vet I took him to told me that the hair fell out due to the scratching, so I’ve been monitoring it to see if there’s any growth.
And yes! I actually upgraded his cage to the Midwest Wabbitat Deluxe with the home extension piece after the vet told me it was nothing to worry about. I waited to see for sure if the itching would stop before I got another little guy, because I don’t want anything spreading. After we see the new doctor and I can ensure he doesn’t have anything contagious, I’ll be getting him a brother. Until then, I’m trying to just spend plenty of time with him and keep plenty of toys for him.
My biggest concern is definitely the one ear, and the bald/scabby wounds that I’m finding here and there. If I can manage to get some pictures tomorrow, I’ll add them. He’s been so sensitive for the last few days that I’m having a hard time even touching him. His vet appointment is booked for Tuesday, so hopefully I can get some answers and get it worked out for him. I hate seeing him in the huge cage all by himself.

This explains about the bald patches behind each ear which all piggies have Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?

Yes, if he has mites, particularly if it turns out to be mange mites, then best to get him treated properly before adding another piggy. I’m glad you can get him a friend.
I don’t know anything the cage you have, but ensure it is 180x60cm (150x60cm as a minimum) as you intend to keep two boys together (rather than having your boy neutered and after that six week post neuter wait, finding him a sow friend) because boar pairs need a lot more space than sow pairs do.

When the time comes, this is our guide on how to bond piggies properly. There are also our guides about boar pairs.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Let us know how you get on at the vets

It does sound like your boy has some skin issues going and that need to be properly diagnosed and treated by a vet.
If your original vet recommended coconut oil then I would consider looking for a more experienced guinea pig vet.
It is however fantastic that you are having him seen by a vet and getting him the proper care he clearly needs.

If he is a pet shop piggy then you could also contact the store that sold him to you and ask about getting a refund for the vet bills for any illness that occurs in the first 6 weeks.
If he is very sensitive about being touched I would ask your vet to check for mange mites which can only be seen under a microscope, and not always even then.
Many vets will still offer a 3 step treatment anyway to rule this out as it is extremely painful with mites that burrow under the skin.
It sounds like a fungal infection may also be present so it would be good to test for this at the same time.

Sadly your current cage is far too small for even 1 guinea pig, and would not be suitable for 2 males with measurements of just under 100cms x 58cms.
Depending on your situation you might want to look in C&C grids which offer a more flexible and cheaper solution to create a cage that is an appropriate size.

This explains about the bald patches behind each ear which all piggies have Guinea pig body quirks - What is normal and what not?

Yes, if he has mites, particularly if it turns out to be mange mites, then best to get him treated properly before adding another piggy. I’m glad you can get him a friend.
I don’t know anything the cage you have, but ensure it is 180x60cm (150x60cm as a minimum) as you intend to keep two boys together (rather than having your boy neutered and after that six week post neuter wait, finding him a sow friend) because boar pairs need a lot more space than sow pairs do.

When the time comes, this is our guide on how to bond piggies properly. There are also our guides about boar pairs.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Let us know how you get on at the vets
Thank you for all the information! I’ve been wondering about having two boys together, and if it’s something that I even want to do. I My two girls from before got along great, and I never had any issues with either of them. I have noticed that Teddy is more playful and outgoing than either of them though, and it’s made me want another boy. After reading how hard it can be though, I’m going to speak with the new vet about getting him neutered as well, so I can get sow instead. I’d hate to come home to find any other types of injuries.

Boar pairs can get on well, if they like each other. You have to be aware that a sow/boar pair could also not get along. It all comes down to character compatibility.

Assuming he is young - less than four months (as he came from a pet shop), also be aware that bonding boars in their teens (4-14 months) can be difficult. It’s best (if you can) to take him bonding at a rescue. I say if you can because I know that rescues in the US (and experienced vets) are few and far between.

Hope you can get him sorted soon and find him a friend.
Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

Please also be aware that a boar pair need minimum 150x60cm cage (2x5 if c&c grids). A sow/boar pair need minimum 120x60cm (2x4 c&c) but if you can offer bigger then that’s preferable. You will find that by the time you add two hides etc that there wouldn’t be much space for them to zoom around in the latter size.

It does sound like your boy has some skin issues going and that need to be properly diagnosed and treated by a vet.
If your original vet recommended coconut oil then I would consider looking for a more experienced guinea pig vet.
It is however fantastic that you are having him seen by a vet and getting him the proper care he clearly needs.

If he is a pet shop piggy then you could also contact the store that sold him to you and ask about getting a refund for the vet bills for any illness that occurs in the first 6 weeks.
If he is very sensitive about being touched I would ask your vet to check for mange mites which can only be seen under a microscope, and not always even then.
Many vets will still offer a 3 step treatment anyway to rule this out as it is extremely painful with mites that burrow under the skin.
It sounds like a fungal infection may also be present so it would be good to test for this at the same time.

Sadly your current cage is far too small for even 1 guinea pig, and would not be suitable for 2 males with measurements of just under 100cms x 58cms.
Depending on your situation you might want to look in C&C grids which offer a more flexible and cheaper solution to create a cage that is an appropriate size.
Thank you for your thoughts! I’ve been hoping that it’s just dry skin we’re dealing with, but I’m thinking more and more that it’s mites. I haven’t seen anything moving on him, so lice is kind of out of the picture. Since I brought him home, he’s been scratching more and more, and the biting at himself has been really troubling to me.

The vet that I took him to is an amazing vet, but just for dogs, and cats. I have two dogs that see him regularly, and I had an elderly dog that was severely diabetic and arthritic. Their clinic was amazing with my old guy, and worked really hard to keep his blood sugar stable. He passed away last year, so I’ve just got the two now. I guess I’ve built such a rapport with that clinic that they’ll see any of my animals. When they said I could bring him in, I hadn’t realized that they had almost no experience with Guinea pigs. Apparently the only small animals he sees are the occasional rabbits when he does farm calls. I tried the coconut oil on the top of his ear for about a week when I saw the inside was getting crusty too. I reached out to two more clinics that claimed to treat exotics, but only one responded and they told me they treat rats, but not Guinea pigs? When I found the new wound, I called around for recommendations and I finally found one that can take him. I read all their reviews and they do seem to treat a number of Guinea pigs. So hopefully all goes well.

My current cage is actually 165.1 cm x 60.325 cm. The Midwest Wabbitat Deluxe is is 47.16 in x 23.62 in (or 119.786 cm x 60.325). The Home Extension piece adds 18.5 inches to the length, so the total length becomes 65.66 in. After some late night reading from the all guides that Piggies&buns posted above, I’m planning to speak with the new vet about getting Teddy neutered so I can get a little girl piggy for him to be with instead. I don’t want to risk him getting hurt. I do think that he was previously bullied at the shop where I got him. They had 4 males in a tiny enclosure, and the three others were huge in comparison to him. They all stayed on one side of the cage, and he was by himself on the other side. That was half the reason I took him, and I’d hate to put him in any kind of similar situation.

That size cage is just above the minimum for two boars but would be lovely for a boar/sow pair.
A boar/sow pairing does tend to be more stable for the long term but equally a boar pair is a lovely thing! I have a 4 year old boar pair myself!

Just to note though, just because he was potentially picked on by the other boars he was for sale with does not mean he would be picked on by another boar companion - for a bond to be successful, two piggies need to be compatible. If there were four boars in a small cage then that alone is a problem - boars don’t do well if there is any more than two of them and they need a huge amount of space, plus they would have just be put in the same enclosure for sale, not for long term compatibility

Back